Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Exhaust causing rear diff seal leak????

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust causing rear diff seal leak????

Need some help guys. I noticed some leaking from my car the other day, and surmised that it was coming from my rear diff. Not being well versed in this type of repair, I dropped it off at a local GM goodwrench shop today. They told me that their opinion was my exhaust being so close to the seal burnt it up. I went ahead and ordered a new yoke and seal and will have them replace it. Anybody else experience this? Will the new parts fix the problem? Will it be recurring and need to be replaced in another 6 months????

Any help or advice you guys can offer up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That pinion seal leak is so common on our cars. Mine does it too, and many others have the problem too. Take a pic of the exhaust to see if it actually is really close to it or not.

It is for sure one thing GM cheaped the hell out on our cars, and that is the rear end. It is more than a pos.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

It has nothing to do with the exhaust. f-body 10 bolt rearends tend to leak from the pinion seal. My cars exhaust stops well before the rear axle and it still leaks so no way exhaust heat would cause it.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:25 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
It has nothing to do with the exhaust. f-body 10 bolt rearends tend to leak from the pinion seal. My cars exhaust stops well before the rear axle and it still leaks so no way exhaust heat would cause it.
^X2 Agreed^! Whatever they told you sounds like BS to me too. Like he said, your 10 bolts are garbage, pinion seals go all the time.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, I wasnt totally buying the exhaust thing either which is why I ask here. I guess since he is a GM tech he doesnt really want to say the rearend is shitty, but wants to blame my aftermarket exhaust. Thanks for the responses.