Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Who builds their own?..

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who builds their own?..

Just curious who if anyone builds their own 9"? It would seem that you could save a few bucks by purchasing the center section, and supplying your own 3rd member/axles?...Maybe Im wrong. Please give me your thoughts?..
Old 02-10-2008, 12:48 PM
FormerVendor

If you have the resources you can build your own 3rd member. Just depends on what your level of expertise is. I would suggest at least buying a housing and axle package though as you cannot beat the price to have it prefabbed to fit in your car already. In addition you will not have the headache.

Jeff
Old 02-10-2008, 03:46 PM
10 Second Club

This is exactly what I am doing. Ordering a housing and axel package this week and adding a rebuilt ford center section with a spool and 4.11s.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I played my cards right and ill get my fab9 from Midwest Chassie and what not installed in my car for under $1000 I scored a center already done for $25, nodular of course but it will work for now till i build a complete aluminum one. And some more tricks up my sleeve and ill be rollin with my fab9 soon!
Old 02-10-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

I like the idea of buying a housing & axle kit, and then sourcing my center section. A couple quick questions...are ALL the 9" centers the same (with exception of splines). That is to say, I have a friend who races dirt track and has a bunch of 9" centers, and will hook me up. Am I correct in saying that if I buy the housing kit, all I will need is the completed center section?...What does everyone like to run for splines?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

31 spline is the most common. 28 is an option, but that is the same as a stock f-body rearend. 35 spline for Detroit lockers or spools.

most circle track rearends you will find are stock center sections with stock diff units and a mini-spool that transfers all the power thru the pinion pin. 28 or 31 spline.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:51 PM
FormerVendor

3rd members will definately vary depending on what they are assembled with. You can get a stock diff, Nodular , Aluminum and then you have tons of gear ratio choices and positraction/locker options. Make sure you get what you are looking for.

Jeff
Old 02-11-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Jeff I was looking at your third members. What type of power do the stock centers hold? I saw that the nodular is rated at 650hp. What is the main difference? Where do stock ones fail?..
Old 02-11-2008, 09:19 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
31 spline is the most common. 28 is an option, but that is the same as a stock f-body rearend. 35 spline for Detroit lockers or spools.

most circle track rearends you will find are stock center sections with stock diff units and a mini-spool that transfers all the power thru the pinion pin. 28 or 31 spline.

MIDWEST gave me a deal that nobody else could beat including the sponsers in this thread. Aside from Midwest that is... 8)
Old 02-11-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
I like the idea of buying a housing & axle kit, and then sourcing my center section. A couple quick questions...are ALL the 9" centers the same (with exception of splines). That is to say, I have a friend who races dirt track and has a bunch of 9" centers, and will hook me up. Am I correct in saying that if I buy the housing kit, all I will need is the completed center section?...What does everyone like to run for splines?
This is funny cause I was just about to start my own thread about sourcing my own center, and buying the fabbed up housing and axle.....

If you dont mind me getting in on this thread, I want to add...

I figure for a 400-500rwhp car, Im gonna want a nodular 31 spline center....right? How much should I be paying for one of these used?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas
This is funny cause I was just about to start my own thread about sourcing my own center, and buying the fabbed up housing and axle.....

If you dont mind me getting in on this thread, I want to add...

I figure for a 400-500rwhp car, Im gonna want a nodular 31 spline center....right? How much should I be paying for one of these used?
Sure jump right in. Im just trying to see the best way to do it. Sure seems there is some $ to be saved by sourcing a center. But maybe I am missing something. I see that the nodular centers are rated at 650HP..but what about stock centers?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would also like to know this. ^^^^ Can a stock center with a trutrac be a good rear end?

Im looking for a rear that will hold up my current power plus a 150shot later, still being a DD. I also want to be able to side step the clutch at 5-6k. Will a stock center take that?

And im with you LS1 silverado, I think we should be able to get into a 9in for 1500 bucks if we set up our own center section
Old 02-11-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas
I would also like to know this. ^^^^ Can a stock center with a trutrac be a good rear end?

Im looking for a rear that will hold up my current power plus a 150shot later, still being a DD. I also want to be able to side step the clutch at 5-6k. Will a stock center take that?

And im with you LS1 silverado, I think we should be able to get into a 9in for 1500 bucks if we set up our own center section
My thoughts exactly.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

here... i just copied this out of a thread from a few days ago... this is the real deal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus View Post
I agree, I've seen them leave a pile on the track. Bob :Quote

and chances are, if you break a case, the only thing you *may* salvage out of the center section is the diff unit. even the driveshaft will be junk. so figure in the cost of the cheaper gear. you saved about 300-500 depending on what and where you buy it. the driveshaft is gonna cost 300 minimum. now you need to repair and upgrade the center section. thats gonna cost 800-900 to buy parts and have it setup using your posi unit. now, youve spent 1200 to repair what you spent 800 on originally to save only 300-500. you now have a 2000.00 center section that still has a posi unit in it. i can sell the baddest aluminum center section on the planet and a driveshaft with it for 2000.

now what do yo think of that stock center section?

i know not everybody has 2500-3500 to spend on a good rearend from the start. but the point i'm making is don't go out and buy a Moser 9 and stuff it with a gear setup you think is bullet proof just because it is a 9 inch ford. they break just like your 10 bolt.

NEW ** Billet Specialties wheels on board** NEW
SFI Approved - light weight - street legal
15x3.5, 15x10 f body set 930.00 free shipping
billet caps and NHRA legal stems included
limited time only-new to market

Strange-Moser-AFCO-Procharger-Aurora
full-equipped chassis shop.....bolt-ins to complete customs
Old 02-12-2008, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ssvert99
here... i just copied this out of a thread from a few days ago... this is the real deal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus View Post
I agree, I've seen them leave a pile on the track. Bob :Quote

and chances are, if you break a case, the only thing you *may* salvage out of the center section is the diff unit. even the driveshaft will be junk. so figure in the cost of the cheaper gear. you saved about 300-500 depending on what and where you buy it. the driveshaft is gonna cost 300 minimum. now you need to repair and upgrade the center section. thats gonna cost 800-900 to buy parts and have it setup using your posi unit. now, youve spent 1200 to repair what you spent 800 on originally to save only 300-500. you now have a 2000.00 center section that still has a posi unit in it. i can sell the baddest aluminum center section on the planet and a driveshaft with it for 2000.

now what do yo think of that stock center section?

i know not everybody has 2500-3500 to spend on a good rearend from the start. but the point i'm making is don't go out and buy a Moser 9 and stuff it with a gear setup you think is bullet proof just because it is a 9 inch ford. they break just like your 10 bolt.

NEW ** Billet Specialties wheels on board** NEW
SFI Approved - light weight - street legal
15x3.5, 15x10 f body set 930.00 free shipping
billet caps and NHRA legal stems included
limited time only-new to market

Strange-Moser-AFCO-Procharger-Aurora
full-equipped chassis shop.....bolt-ins to complete customs
Heard ya. Thoughts of a stock center are gone like the wind.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

Well let's see... I can get the gear paint myself, I have a dial indicator, have feeler guages, know how to measure backlash and freeplay and runout... I can buy a nodular housing, gears and posi with bearings and everything for about 600 when everyone else wants to charge me 875 or even 950. Not to mention even SOME of the vendors from what I heard sometimes can't even get the gears to mesh right. I'll take my chances with my knowledge and build up my third member myself and I'll see if I can do a write-up in the process. Guys, I will tell you up front that eventhough you follow the write-up, if you arent trained or dont have a skilled person around you be careful with this install. This is probably the most attenton to detail you'll everneed to make on the portion of the vehicle.my rear end willbe built bullet proof for 1500
Old 02-12-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Im having my local guy set up the rear. I wont chance it on this rig. I'll practice on some other junk before I set up gears in my baby

On a side note....$600 nodular with posi & bearings?.....Maybe with a spool....that or you have the hook up of the century!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

"$600 nodular with posi & bearings?....."
any one have one for sale ?
PM thanks, Johnny
Old 02-14-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
"$600 nodular with posi & bearings?....."
any one have one for sale ?
PM thanks, Johnny
It cant be done, unless you can find a $200 posi. The cheapest nodular housing I know of is the Strange S-Case and it goes for $230 Gears $170 Bearings $70ish, Thats $470...you have $130 left to buy a "posi" with. Can hardly get a spool with that. Im calling BS on the $600 center with Nodular case & Posi
Old 02-15-2008, 12:10 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

... unless he somehow located a factory ford "N" case with a traction lock in it. it's possible, but not likely. those were rare parts and most of the circle track guys snagged those up over the years. i'm calling BS, too. 600.00 is well under wholesale cost to dealers for those parts.