Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt started whining!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 bolt started whining!

This past weekend I went out to my local track, Lonestar Motorsports Park, and made only two passes because the track was hooking hard enough that i could barely get a good burnout with my street tires. Im stock and had a hell of a lot of wheelhop coming out of my burnout and coming off of the line at around 1500rpm. On the way home i noticed a slight whine that I didnt notice before, when I accelerate to around 50 and then coast I hear it until about 35 but dont hear it when accelerating, only when coasting and deceleration. I may just be paranoid and am only hearing my tires but like I said I didnt hear it before and i tend to hear every little moan, groan, creek, and tap on this animal and they all bother me. Is it likely that my rearend has been damaged and is just waiting to go, havent had a chance to pull the cover and check it out.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check it out and open it up. The longer you wait, the worse it will get. It could only be your tires but I would still check it out ASAP.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DWZ28
This past weekend I went out to my local track, Lonestar Motorsports Park, and made only two passes because the track was hooking hard enough that i could barely get a good burnout with my street tires. Im stock and had a hell of a lot of wheelhop coming out of my burnout and coming off of the line at around 1500rpm. On the way home i noticed a slight whine that I didnt notice before, when I accelerate to around 50 and then coast I hear it until about 35 but dont hear it when accelerating, only when coasting and deceleration. I may just be paranoid and am only hearing my tires but like I said I didnt hear it before and i tend to hear every little moan, groan, creek, and tap on this animal and they all bother me. Is it likely that my rearend has been damaged and is just waiting to go, havent had a chance to pull the cover and check it out.
The 12 bolt rears do the same thing after having been to the track. I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets a lot louder. Here is why I say that. Bob

Put a 12 bolt into a early Chevelle, Nova, Camaro, etc and you can beat the crap out of it, and not hurt anything. Put one into one of our cars with a torque arm, make a couple 4000 to 5000 dragstrip launches, and I can just about guarantee you'll pick up gear noise. If it is a drag only car, you'll never know or care about the gear noise. Drive your car home from the track, and the noise will drive you nuts. I feel the torque arm stresses the 12 bolt housing, causing distortion. We have never seen this happen with the 9 inch housing.

Exotic Performance Plus strongly recommends the Moser nine inch. This rear is even tougher than the Moser 12 bolt, and the horsepower of the late model F Body cars keeps escalating every year, which requires a very strong rear. With the recent introduction of the 6.2L GM aluminum block and the excellent flowing 6.2 litre heads, the horsepower of these cars is going to just keep climbing at a very fast pace.The nine inch will handle the power, plus we prefer the way the torque arm is bolted to the nine inch in the same way the oem rear-end is attached. (This is the only good thing about the stock 10 bolt...) The Moser 12 bolt uses four short bolts to attach the torque arm, and they have a habit of loosening up, even when loc-tite is used. Why the nine inch is stronger than the 12 bolt. The 9-inch has an internal rear-pinion support that also supports the gear end of the pinion to limit gear deflection under high torque loads. This seems to be the major reason why the 9 inch doesn't start whining after high rpm clutch dumps, when the 12 bolt will pick up noise.The 9-inch locates its pinion gear lower on the ring gear to improve tooth contact, than the 12 bolt does.The 9-inch has a 0.125-inch larger ring-gear diameter and internal pinion support than the 12 bolt does. This is not much of a difference, but it is worth noting.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:24 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DWZ28

I would definately not ignore it, maybe it is just gear noise but maybe you have a bearing that is starting to fail. Everyone here iwll tell you that hard launches on the stock differential is not going to be good for you 10 bolt especially if you are going to be racing often. Bottom line, don't let a problem get worse by ignoring it.

Jeff
Old 02-14-2008, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

My rear end did the same thing after I went to the track with it for the first time. I only had 6,000 miles on it and it went from no whine or gear noise to some moderate whine. Not enough to fuss about for me though. Car has almost 50,000 miles on it now and still holding up just fine. Had the diff cover off around 18 or 20,000 miles and everything looked good.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:58 PM
12 Second Club

David- I wouldnt get to worried about it to be honest with you. Now im not saying it is something you should ignore. But it wont leave you stranded tomorrow. Wouldnt hurt to just pull the cover and have a looksee for anything out of the ordinary. I am going to be installing 3.90s and doing a full rebuild with all new bearings/seals probably over spring break. If yours is still making noise we could do yours too.

Oh and wheel hop = 10 bolt death. Get some LCAs and get rid of that.

Brent

Quick Reply: 10 bolt started whining!