Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need a new Housing, Opinions and Suggestions Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new Housing, Opinions and Suggestions Appreciated

ive got a 01 SS auto transmission with the elec. traction control and a bent axle housing, i want to go with 3.73 gears while im replacing the housing. any suggestions on where i can find a housing with the gears already installed? ive only got 350hp 350tq now but plan on improving power soon, what options do i have in dealing with a stronger rearend? used parts are ok and im not trying to spend more than $2000, thanks for the help
Old 03-07-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tyler VA01SS
ive got a 01 SS auto transmission with the elec. traction control and a bent axle housing, i want to go with 3.73 gears while im replacing the housing. any suggestions on where i can find a housing with the gears already installed? ive only got 350hp 350tq now but plan on improving power soon, what options do i have in dealing with a stronger rearend? used parts are ok and im not trying to spend more than $2000, thanks for the help
You can almost by a brand new strange 12 bolt for $2000. If I were you I would save a little more and Buy the 12 bolt. Much better rear end than the piece of **** 10 bolt. Rule of thumb when it comes to a 10 bolt. "upgrade don't rebuild"
Old 03-08-2008, 04:11 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145

This is the route I recommend to take.
Put a 12 bolt into a early Chevelle, Nova, Camaro, etc and you can beat the crap out of it, and not hurt anything. Put one into one of our cars with a torque arm, make a couple 4000 to 5000 dragstrip launches, and I can just about guarantee you'll pick up gear noise. If it is a drag only car, you'll never know or care about the gear noise. Drive your car home from the track, and the noise will drive you nuts. I feel the torque arm stresses the 12 bolt housing, causing distortion. We have never seen this happen with the 9 inch housing.

Exotic Performance Plus strongly recommends the Moser nine inch. This rear is even tougher than the Moser 12 bolt, and the horsepower of the late model F Body cars keeps escalating every year, which requires a very strong rear. With the recent introduction of the 6.2L GM aluminum block and the excellent flowing 6.2 litre heads, the horsepower of these cars is going to just keep climbing at a very fast pace.The nine inch will handle the power, plus we prefer the way the torque arm is bolted to the nine inch in the same way the oem rear-end is attached. (This is the only good thing about the stock 10 bolt...) The Moser 12 bolt uses four short bolts to attach the torque arm, and they have a habit of loosening up, even when loc-tite is used. Why the nine inch is stronger than the 12 bolt. The 9-inch has an internal rear-pinion support that also supports the gear end of the pinion to limit gear deflection under high torque loads. This seems to be the major reason why the 9 inch doesn't start whining after high rpm clutch dumps, when the 12 bolt will pick up noise.The 9-inch locates its pinion gear lower on the ring gear to improve tooth contact, than the 12 bolt does.The 9-inch has a 0.125-inch larger ring-gear diameter and internal pinion support than the 12 bolt does. This is not much of a difference, but it is worth noting.
Bob

Last edited by Exotic Performance Plus; 03-08-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We can get you a Moser 12 bolt.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:58 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

a 12 bolt is a great rearend for your application, but you are not gonna touch one for under 2300.00. i would save up a few more $ and then consider what your best option is. if you are planning on upgrading suspension then you can get into a fabricated 9 inch for 2600.00 including a chromemoly torque arm and crossmember for your application.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:07 AM
TECH Resident

How did you bend the axle housing?