Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" E Brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9" E Brake

I installed a moser 9" a few weeks ago. I cannot get the e-brake to work. There is seemingly too much slack in the cable itself. When I pull the handle it pulls all the way up with no pressure. Even at this point, with the center console off, I can still pull the cable manually. When I go back and look at the brake backing, the lever where the cable attaches has not moved at all. Therefore adjusting the drum still does no good because the cable is not taught enough to even pull the lever.

Any ideas?
Old 03-22-2008, 07:56 PM
12 Second Club

there should be and an adjuster on the underbody near your tunnel where the rear end is. Check there because I thought it had an adjustment there when i put my 9" in as I have neither installed the e-brakes yet
Old 03-23-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Is there a way to adjust it there?
Old 03-23-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the mechanism on the side of the console. If that little spring gets damaged the wratchet won't engage properly.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:52 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
Check the mechanism on the side of the console. If that little spring gets damaged the wratchet won't engage properly.
you are on the right track. More than likely what happened is that the park brake quadrant is not engaged with the ratchet pawl . this probably happened when you either unhooked or rehooked the park brake cables back up.
The fix is to pull the console and rotate the quadrant until it engages the the ratchet pawl again.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

The cable is still being pulled when the handle is moved up. When the lever is lowered the cable comes and attaches at the rear. Is this correct??

Anyone have a picture of how it should look?
Old 03-24-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roy
you are on the right track. More than likely what happened is that the park brake quadrant is not engaged with the ratchet pawl . this probably happened when you either unhooked or rehooked the park brake cables back up.
The fix is to pull the console and rotate the quadrant until it engages the the ratchet pawl again.
Ahh thanks for a place to look I'm having the same issue as the OP, too much slack and the e brake isn't engaging at all.

Thanks