Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Might have rear end trouble. Please help..

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might have rear end trouble. Please help..

Me and a co-worker where going to get lunch, He wanted to see how the car felt. So I got on it a few times for him and just resumed the speed limit. As I was making a right turn in the parking lot of the resturant we heard this some what loud poping noise. It sounded like it came from the rear end but the car would still pull. What could this be? It made the same noise as we where pulling out onto the highway but it wasn't as loud. Another guy I work with said he thought it might be the rear end just unlocking. It seems to do it only when I am turning and I hit a bump. The second time it did it, it sounded like it came from the front end.. hehe thanks for any and all help.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

what rearend and what traction aid? locker, limited slip, waht? we need more info, how many miles on it?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
what rearend and what traction aid? locker, limited slip, waht? we need more info, how many miles on it?
It's just a stock 10bolt with 3 channel ABS. It only has 37,000 miles.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

my brother's had problems with the front lower ball joint. Go bounce the car up and down i front and rear with your hands and see if you can get it to pop. Noises are hard to diagnose especially if you are moving and turning cause there are alot of variables. Try that first then let us know so we can eliminate suspension.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

Default wheel

make sure you do it with the wheels straight and turned. Turning the wheel will put more specific stress towards the ball joints and it will help it show it's face if it is a ball joint.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

Well I have the car up on jack stands right now. I started the car and put it into drive. The tires spun with no noise at all. I then put it in reverse and again the tires spun with no noise. I put the car in nutrual and let the wheels start to turn then I stopped one of the wheels and let the other one spin and the differential made alot of clunking noises. I then stopped the car, put it into park and spun the back drivers tire by hand and again the differential made alot of noise. Is this normal? I can push the car up and down with no noises.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:32 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like it could be a diff, But it wouldn't sound like a popping noise
Old 03-26-2008, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

Sorry. It's more of a clunking noise and you can feel it in the car when it does it. It's hard to hear where it's coming from with the exhaust. Thats why I put it up on jack stands.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

yeah it is possibly a diff then and dang you dont even have gears in the car... But yet that converter could have helped you decide to go get a 12 bolt or 9"
Old 03-26-2008, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

Haven't ran it at all at the track with the new setup. Just a few street launchs where I spin like crazy. Also when the car is cold and I drive it, it feels like something is bogging it down. After driving for a few miles it seems to losen up and fly. Just started that a few days ago and then this happens. It could have been due to the rearend starting to go out..
Old 03-27-2008, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

Gears expand under heat but that shouldnt make a difference because if it is making that big of a difference you should have more problems than you already do. Try taking apart the rear cover and see if your 8mm screw is backed out of the posi. If it did it could be shifting the key around in the rear and you just havent had enough bad lucky for it to drop out.