Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 12 Bolt - - and Spohn Adjustable Torque Arm I need HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Moser 12 Bolt - - and Spohn Adjustable Torque Arm I need HELP!!!

OK- tonight i fixed the what i thought was most of the problem with my torque arm. I have a 6-speed ss 543rwhp camaro- and what had been happening was this clanking noise from my torque arm.. well- i noticed that the bolts that attach to the rear end (moser 12 bolt) - there are 4 total (that should be there) and there were only 2 on mine.. the other 2 had worked their way loose.. So... i bought the 1/2inch grade 8 bolts- and bought lock washers for them- and also put red locktite on them.. just fine.. worked.. and everything seems good to go.. My now main question is dealing with the front of my torque arm. There is a 5/16 bolt on the front top mount ( with the swivel head) that attaches the torque arm.. that is ok- and should be tightened up tight! but there is also a 3/4 bolt that has a grease fitting that attaches to the torque arm bracket- that lets the torque arm move, or should i say gives it play.. the real question i want with this is does that 3/4 bolt need to be tightened up as tight as you can get it- or does it need to stay loose ( a little play) for the torque arm to move?????? I left it with a firm tightness- but i didnt want to tighten up completely with having fear that the torque arm would not be able to adjust with everday driving.. There are 2 brass collars as well that go in between the front plates for this 3/4 bolt- so does this mean that i should tighten this up completely?? HELP?? Should i be getting backlash from this torque arm with a 6-speed or should it be a solid and have no noice?? Still hear a little backlash between shifts and also just letting off the gas.. is this normal?? anyone want this thing?? lol.. any help will do - and would greatly be appreciated from those who have the same setup as me- 12 bolt moser- 6speed- 540rwhp - and a adjustable spohn torque arm for long tube headers..
Old 04-02-2008, 01:15 AM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a spohn center mount torque arm in mine once as well. It was all tightened in the front bushing.
It usually made some noise it always did as others also had the same experence.
I just kept my bushings in the front greased up well & it seemed to help out alot.
I now run the alston tunnel mounted TA like it much better IMO.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:18 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I agree, the Spohn 405 torque arm makes a lot of noise. I use to have one on my Camaro years ago, when driving slow down my bumpy road by my house, it made the car sound like a bucket of bolts. Bob
Old 04-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im having a similar problem when i drive and let of the gas i hear a noise as well like a bucket of bolts i have a moser 12 bolt on my 02 m6 ss with the stock torque arm you guys think the torque arm is the problem
Old 04-02-2008, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

well- my car has an aftermarket spohn torque arm- and it does it.. it seems as though its never tight enough?? I hope someone has been through this- and has fixed it....
Old 04-03-2008, 04:20 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by snugans310
im having a similar problem when i drive and let of the gas i hear a noise as well like a bucket of bolts i have a moser 12 bolt on my 02 m6 ss with the stock torque arm you guys think the torque arm is the problem
Check the four bolts that attach the torque arm to the rear, I'll bet they came loose. Bob
Old 04-03-2008, 04:22 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bigblock4-speed
well- my car has an aftermarket spohn torque arm- and it does it.. it seems as though its never tight enough?? I hope someone has been through this- and has fixed it....
One thing we have done in the past is to install rubber between the frame and the front mount on the Spohn torque arms. This significantly decreased the amount of noise that was heard through the chassis. We used 1/4 thick rubber. Bob