Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Stupid quick carrier question (10 bolt)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stupid quick carrier question (10 bolt)

Did any of the 3 channel 10 bolts come with a 2 series carrier? Im swapping 10 bolts for a guy and his car is a 3 channel/3 series rear. Bought a used 10 bolt from an unknown fbody, pulled the cover and the carrier has the reluctor ring but thin gears(not sure if that mattered) I thought it maybe a 2 series since it had the thin ring gear. Ill count the teeth as soon as I get the rust brakes off of it so it will rotate. Just was curious if it could be a 2 series

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
Did any of the 3 channel 10 bolts come with a 2 series carrier? Im swapping 10 bolts for a guy and his car is a 3 channel/3 series rear. Bought a used 10 bolt from an unknown fbody, pulled the cover and the carrier has the reluctor ring but thin gears(not sure if that mattered) I thought it maybe a 2 series since it had the thin ring gear. Ill count the teeth as soon as I get the rust brakes off of it so it will rotate. Just was curious if it could be a 2 series

Thanks!
Actually, 2 series is the THICK ring gear. And my car is a 3 chan (ABS only) that came with 2 series gears. So yes, that was a factory option.

If you are swapping the whole rear axle it doesn't matter if it's 2 or 3 series... as long as it's 3 chan, you're good to go.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jetlag
Actually, 2 series is the THICK ring gear. And my car is a 3 chan (ABS only) that came with 2 series gears. So yes, that was a factory option.

If you are swapping the whole rear axle it doesn't matter if it's 2 or 3 series... as long as it's 3 chan, you're good to go.
Thanks! Youre right, Im swapping the whole rear, but I was a little confused about the gears.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and as a side note both 2 & 3 series 3 channel rears have a reluctor ring pressed on the posi but there is a difference in width between the reluctor rings so if you ever find your self in a situation where you have to replace carriers make sure you press the correct ring on or the ABS wont work