Register Forgot Password?
Search

Gears & Axles
Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana
Sponsored by
JawsGear

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 04-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2
Default Stuck pinion shaft: Fun with a sledge hammer

OK, so I am a do-it-yourself if you want it done right type of guy. So, I bought a set of 4.10's (10 tooth pinion) for my stock 98 trans am. This car has 40K miles on it, and nothing is broken. So I get the axles out, and remove the diff, next thing is to "tap" the pinion out.
YEAH RIGHT.

The pinion shaft was rusted solid to the smaller of the two bearings, making it nearly impossible to remove. I was seriously ready to remove the entire rear end from the car. But I got lucky, and after heating the bearing with a bernzomatic torch for about 60 seconds, and POUNDING THE **** out of the pinion shaft with a sledge hammer, it finally came out.

All I can say is HOLY **** was that thing stuck. I completely destroyed the pinion nut and the end of the shaft beating on that thing. But I did win in the end.

To make things even more fun, I still had to beat the bearing races out of the housing.

I eventually won the battle and got my new races and my new pinion shaft installed, but GOD DAMN I have never fought a rear-end like that before!

So if your pinion shaft is stuck, stop hitting it like a girl and get after it!

Now I just hope the pinion depth is correct on the new shaft.....
Johns98TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Yeah, been there, done that, regretted mushrooming the threads of the pinion shaft when I went to re-use it .
2006 Corvette Z06 - LS7 - LeMans Blue
2010 Corvette - LS3/MN6 - Black

www.time-attack.ca
Cap'n Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
FormerVendor
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Jawsgear

You changed the pinion shaft and ring gear right? I assume you know this because they are a matched set.

Jeff
Jawsgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Jeff,
Thanks for the tip. Yeah there are probably guys on this board that dont realize that the pinion and ring gear are a matched set!

The whole point of removing the stock pinion was to replace it with the new pinion from the 4.10 gearset. So yes, I also replaced the ring gear with the new one. I'm going to finish installing the diff tonight (hopefully). With any amount of luck I will get it setup right without taking it back apart 10 times.
Johns98TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns98TA View Post
Jeff,
Thanks for the tip. Yeah there are probably guys on this board that dont realize that the pinion and ring gear are a matched set!

The whole point of removing the stock pinion was to replace it with the new pinion from the 4.10 gearset. So yes, I also replaced the ring gear with the new one. I'm going to finish installing the diff tonight (hopefully). With any amount of luck I will get it setup right without taking it back apart 10 times.
i'm doing the same thing right now.. and i have a solid crush sleeve. setting up my pinion shims for the preload was a bitch everytime i cranked on the pinion nut and had to remove it i had to beat the **** out of the pinion to get it to come out. almost like it was stuck on the head bearing because the tail bearing was loose.

i'm doing my job on the ground which really sucks but do you know how to cut the old bearings so i can swap pinion shims easy without having to keep pressing the bearing off?
2001 Firehawk #58 of 539
tv2 cam, QTP Lt's, hooker catback
425hp 387tq
midwest 9" 4.11's
SLP Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:27 PM   #6
12 Second Club
2001 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP Firehawk View Post
i'm doing the same thing right now.. and i have a solid crush sleeve. setting up my pinion shims for the preload was a bitch everytime i cranked on the pinion nut and had to remove it i had to beat the **** out of the pinion to get it to come out. almost like it was stuck on the head bearing because the tail bearing was loose.

i'm doing my job on the ground which really sucks but do you know how to cut the old bearings so i can swap pinion shims easy without having to keep pressing the bearing off?
I used my dremel tool with a stone bit and honed (opened up) the center of the front and rear pinion bearings. I just cut enough off to get the bearings to slide on/off. took about 5 minutes and was well worth it.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski23 View Post
I used my dremel tool with a stone bit and honed (opened up) the center of the front and rear pinion bearings. I just cut enough off to get the bearings to slide on/off. took about 5 minutes and was well worth it.
cool thanks.... sorry if i hijacked the thread
2001 Firehawk #58 of 539
tv2 cam, QTP Lt's, hooker catback
425hp 387tq
midwest 9" 4.11's
SLP Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:13 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement