Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear whine pinion too deep or shallow?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gear whine pinion too deep or shallow?

what way is more likely to cause the gear whine? Just from my guess I would think that too deep would make it whine more but I don't know. I know backlash also has some to do with it but I have seen some that have good backlash and still whine. what do you guys think, too deep or shallow?
Old 04-13-2008, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

too deep and too shallow can both cause it
Old 04-16-2008, 12:13 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Too deep and it makes more noise on accelleration. To shallow and it makes more noise on coast. This assumes you have set the back lash to the best pattern in each case (not just to spec). Otherwise really tight and really loose back lash can make noise all on its own.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:42 PM
FormerVendor

If the gears are not set up right no matter if too deep, to shallow, tight preload,loose preload, tight backlash or wide backlash you can have noise. All these areas are critical as is the brand of gear you choose to buy.

Jeff
Old 04-16-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well last summer I bought a used set of 4.10s and i got them the best I could. It whines under load. I have been told since that it's impossible to get a used set of gears to run quiet unless ya get the wear pattern just lie it was before. So I bought a new set of motives so maybe I can get this noise gone.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 PM
FormerVendor

Setting up a new set of gears and a used set of gears it totally different. On a used set I would not worry about the drive side pattern as the face of the tooth is going to be worn. Set your pattern to a good coast and you should be fine. If it is an OEM gear you will have less chance with gear noise new or used. If you bought a Motive Gear make sure it is a Perfomance Gear as it hasless chance of any gear noise.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Gear whine pinion too deep or shallow?