Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What differential is this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What differential is this?

Hi guys,
I put 4.10's in my 98 Trans Am this weekend. Of course they whine, so I'm going to pull it apart and make some adjustments.

Anyway, I was just wondering what differential my car is supposed to have? It's a bone stock 98 Trans Am WS6 with the M6.

When I pulled it apart, it has what looks like an auburn style, with spider gears, side plates, and five preload springs. It has the large steel pin holding it all together, very similar to the auburns. I can snap a picture tonight and post it up.

It is definately NOT a zexel torsen unit, so I'm wondering if the whole rear end has been replaced? The car was sold to me as supposedly being 100% bone stock, and it only had 30K miles on it when I bought it. The gears I took out were definately the stock 3.42 ratio, but I'm leary about the differential. Were there different options in 98?

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

It's supposed to have an Auburn(factory OEM) or Torsen(optional at/from SLP).Not all SLP customers opted for the Torsen.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So this must be an OEM Auburn diff? Good to know that it's original.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it is an Auburn Positraction. BTW hard to see the entire pattern there. Might I suggest applying alittle gear oil to a few of the teeth and then rotate through to check again. What brand of gears are those?

Jeff