Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Please look at this pattern and give advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please look at this pattern and give advice

OK this pattern is crap and it whines like hell. These are Motive 4.10's in a stock GM 10 bolt. What do I need to change? Thanks in advance to the pros!

Old 04-15-2008, 10:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks too deep from the hard line in the root of the gear, Run some oil over a few teeth then run the pattern again.

Jeff
Old 04-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

OK, when you say "too deep", do you mean the backlash is too tight? Needs more clearance?

I can play with backlash all day, that is easy to adjust. I'm worried about the pinion shim being wrong. I just reused the old one. It looks like the pinion shim isn't big enough to me, but I dont know **** (obviously). I got the pattern by starting the car and running it in gear for about 10 seconds (each) in forward and reverse.
I have more pics I can send if you are willing to take a look. I really dont want to pull the cover again just to check the pattern again. I drove it about 20 miles today, and it's quiet up until about 30-40mph, and then gets really loud at interstate speeds. The funny thing is that it's quietest under forward load, and howls the most on coast and decel. All the bearings (diff, pinion, and axles) are new. It is unacceptably loud; reminds me of the way my old car sounded when I chipped teeth off the gear.
On my 95 TA, I paid a shop to install a set of richmond 4.10's and they were quiet as a mouse, even after repeated 150hp shots of nitrous doing 3rd gear rolling burnouts. That guy got old and retired, so I figured I try this myself. Whoops!
I just want these QUIET like they should be. Thanks for any and all help guys.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:02 AM
FormerVendor

Couple questions...
1. What depth shim are you using?
2. What was your Pinion Preload?
3. What is your backlash?

These are the 3 main critical areas of setting up the gear. If 1 or more of these are out of spec it will cause you problems. If you want, email me the patterns and I will take a look at them for you. But I need answers to above questions too. Also, do not run the pattern like you have been with starting the car.

Jeff
Old 04-16-2008, 12:08 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Johns98TA
OK, when you say "too deep", do you mean the backlash is too tight? Needs more clearance?

I can play with backlash all day, that is easy to adjust. I'm worried about the pinion shim being wrong. I just reused the old one. It looks like the pinion shim isn't big enough to me, but I dont know **** (obviously). I got the pattern by starting the car and running it in gear for about 10 seconds (each) in forward and reverse.
I have more pics I can send if you are willing to take a look. I really dont want to pull the cover again just to check the pattern again. I drove it about 20 miles today, and it's quiet up until about 30-40mph, and then gets really loud at interstate speeds. The funny thing is that it's quietest under forward load, and howls the most on coast and decel. All the bearings (diff, pinion, and axles) are new. It is unacceptably loud; reminds me of the way my old car sounded when I chipped teeth off the gear.
On my 95 TA, I paid a shop to install a set of richmond 4.10's and they were quiet as a mouse, even after repeated 150hp shots of nitrous doing 3rd gear rolling burnouts. That guy got old and retired, so I figured I try this myself. Whoops!
I just want these QUIET like they should be. Thanks for any and all help guys.

Assuming back lash is close to correct then noise on coast is usually the pinion shim being to thin. From your pictures it certainly looks like the pinion is too far out. The coast pattern looks much to far out. You did not mention what back lash you have but my guess is it is pretty big.

The key thing when I was learning to do it myself this past winter is to try several pinion settings, that way you see what too far in and too far out looks like, it makes it a lot easier to figure out where the middle is.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:44 PM
FormerVendor

I disagree, Pinion is too deep but then again I maybe had better photos to view.

Jeff
Old 04-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Pinion is too deep
Jeff,

Just to clarify for myself and other noobies reading this post: when you say the pinion is too deep, you are saying the pinion shim I'm using is too thick? So I need to reduce the thickness of the pinion shim, correct?

The wife has to work tonight, so I'm going to jack up the car tonight and take out the pinion shaft AGAIN. Hopefully I can get the pinion bearing off tonight, but I may have to wait until tomorrow to have a shop do it. I just dont have the right tools in my shop. You guys know any tricks? What tool would you recommend for a guy like me that will probably never use it again?
I'm going to hone out the bearing this time so that it is a slip-fit; that will make trial and error MUCH easier going forward. I wish I wouldn't have rushed through this the first time!!