Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

**IMPORTANT** carrier bearing removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **IMPORTANT** carrier bearing removal

I pulled my carrier and found out that both carrier bearings were chewed up like some dirt or metal shavings got caught in them and im assuming thats what was making the horrible noise described in the other thread

now...I've got the replacements, BUT i cant get the old bearings off. I'm using a slide hammer right now, with a 2 jaw set up. and I've got 3 different 3-jaw pullers those don't really work because theres nothing for the center punch to push against.

so my question is, how does one go about removing the old bearings ??

and the important is because i need to get to work in the morning >.>
Old 04-23-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

My guess would be a press? How did you plan to put the new ones on?..
Old 04-23-2008, 04:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

New bearings can always be "carefully" hammered on .

Getting the old ones OFF requires (I believe) a "guillotine" style bearing puller (don't know if that's its technical name or not?!) ... basically, the puller has two tapered halves that go in behind the bearing, and those two halves get tightened together and the taper works a gap between the bearing and the face behind it. Then there are attachments to the two "guillotines" that do sort of the same function as a regular puller (pull the bearing off while the guillotines help separate the bearing away).

Since there's a big open space where the axles go through, leaving you nothing to push against in the center, slide a big screwdriver or something through the hole where the cross-pin would normally go (don't use the cross-pin, 'cause you don't want to bend it), then use a couple large sockets or something to take up the space, and create a surface for your puller to push against .

But if you were using the correct puller, the bearings may pop off before you really have to start "pulling"?!
Old 04-23-2008, 06:35 AM
11 Second Club

I cut the bearings with a cut off wheel. Cut almost all the way through and use a chisel to split the race the rest of the way.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

my grandpa has a bearing press that I used. And my dad has a whole bunch of old bearing inner races to help removal/installation. I found one perfect that fit inside the bearing I was pulling off but rested on the carrier face where the axle slides through. It took a LOOOT of force to pull those bearings off. the side with the ring gear I couldn't fit a bearing puller.. all I could fit was a 2-jaw that slipped into those two small slots. I had the same setup for the puller to push against that old bearing race and a piece of scrap iron laying across the hole. But it still took me forever to get the bearing to budge. Once it did I finally got to fit the bearing puller in it and use the press but it took a **** ton more force then the other side. plus the 2-jaw puller kept spinning on me since I was torqueing it so much. Cabel1 is right though it'd be easier just to carefully slice the bearing away and chisel the last little bit off.

To put the new ones on heat the bearing on a hot plate or in the oven and put the carrier in the freezer or in some dry ice overnight, the bearing should slip on pretty easily.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:10 AM
FormerVendor

^^^ Correct if you do not have the proper puller to get the bearings off I would cut them off with a cut of wheel.

Jeff
Old 04-23-2008, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by camaroguy26
my grandpa has a bearing press that I used. And my dad has a whole bunch of old bearing inner races to help removal/installation. I found one perfect that fit inside the bearing I was pulling off but rested on the carrier face where the axle slides through. It took a LOOOT of force to pull those bearings off. the side with the ring gear I couldn't fit a bearing puller.. all I could fit was a 2-jaw that slipped into those two small slots. I had the same setup for the puller to push against that old bearing race and a piece of scrap iron laying across the hole. But it still took me forever to get the bearing to budge. Once it did I finally got to fit the bearing puller in it and use the press but it took a **** ton more force then the other side. plus the 2-jaw puller kept spinning on me since I was torqueing it so much. Cabel1 is right though it'd be easier just to carefully slice the bearing away and chisel the last little bit off.

To put the new ones on heat the bearing on a hot plate or in the oven and put the carrier in the freezer or in some dry ice overnight, the bearing should slip on pretty easily.
Not a good idea to heat the bearing as it can change the nomecular structure of the material.

Jeff
Old 04-23-2008, 12:10 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you doing it this way? You said carrier bearing. It shouldn't be all that hard.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use a cutoff wheel....once you get a pretty good groove cut into the inner race, it will pop right off with a chisel

Quick Reply: **IMPORTANT** carrier bearing removal