Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What's it take to install a posi diff in a nonposi 10bolt

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What's it take to install a posi diff in a nonposi 10bolt

Hey there
I had my 10 bolt rebuilt by GM before I knew I was going to go crazy with this car. Well, when they did it I guess they did not give it posi, I have a "one tire flyer". This rearend has about 15k miles on it and I cannot afford a 12 bolt right now, but, with the motor I have I cannot get any traction and I think a posi differential would give me a little bit better traction as well as help extend the rearends life.

Well, I found a member on here who is selling a 1998 posi differential out of a 2-series carrier car. Well, my rear is a 1998 non-posi 2-series. What all would I need when installing the new differential to make it a full posi car? Would I just need the differential? Will I need to get anything else? Is there a GM gasket/bearing kit that would have all the typical things I would need.

I was just making sure I didn't need to worry about different gears, axles, and other big things, etc. Thanks
Old 05-01-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Are you sure that you have a non-posi; a lot of these came with Torsen differentials, which are limited slip (just sucky). I can't see GM rebuilding a 10 bolt with a non-posi unless it was a V6 car. It would be unfortunate to spend time/money to install something you already have.

I see you have some serious modifications...have you considered putting a real rear end under your car? A 12 bolt would take care of your one tire fire and last you for a long time. If you don't want to swap rears, I would consider an eaton posi if anything, no way I would put another stock diff in there.

If you're swapping diffs, you're most likely going to end up resetting the gears (depending on what you go with). It would be a good idea to get a master install kit (which puts new bearings on everything you're already taking apart). You can pick one of those up from one of our sponsors --------------->>>>>
Old 05-02-2008, 01:53 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks keliente, anytime I have a rear end question you seem to know what you are talking about =)
I can probably check my receipts or give the dealer a call to see if it is limited slip or not. It definately doesn't work if it is limited slip.
And yea, I have considered a 12 bolt. I am just trying to delay the inevitable. My rear end money and turbo money went out the window the moment I blew a new built 60e, then blew the 4l80 I replaced it with, then built the one I have now. I am just praying the rear will hold on till mid-end summer.