Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Spooled M9 Aluminum center section? How many splines? What do YOU have in your 9"????

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spooled M9 Aluminum center section? How many splines? What do YOU have in your 9"????

Finally have the $ for my M9 setup and am trying to decide if the aluminum center section will hold up. Also, how many splines? I am looking to put down up to 750RWHP on boost and launching off a trans brake, and maybe get close to 900RWHP with some spray on top of this next season possibly.

I do drive it on the street a fair amount, but I am ok with the effects of the spool on the street. I just want to know what splines are going to hold up to what I will be putting down, and also will the aluminum center section hold up to this?

Going from 35 spline to 40 spline gun drilled and stared axles isn't too much more $, is this a good option for me? Are there any downsides such as the bearing caps being thinner/weaker with the 40 splines? I believe this was an issue with some 12 bolts or dana 60s.

Also, WHAT DO YOU GUYS HAVE!? and what kinda of driving do you do and RWHP #s??
Old 05-06-2008, 06:58 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
Finally have the $ for my M9 setup and am trying to decide if the aluminum center section will hold up. Also, how many splines? I am looking to put down up to 750RWHP on boost and launching off a trans brake, and maybe get close to 900RWHP with some spray on top of this next season possibly.

I do drive it on the street a fair amount, but I am ok with the effects of the spool on the street. I just want to know what splines are going to hold up to what I will be putting down, and also will the aluminum center section hold up to this?

Going from 35 spline to 40 spline gun drilled and stared axles isn't too much more $, is this a good option for me? Are there any downsides such as the bearing caps being thinner/weaker with the 40 splines? I believe this was an issue with some 12 bolts or dana 60s.

Also, WHAT DO YOU GUYS HAVE!? and what kinda of driving do you do and RWHP #s??

Check out my car which has the alum center section.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=12 Bob
Old 05-06-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Was there any reason you didnt go with the backbrace? Just felt it wasnt needed, or does it create a problem with other parts perhaps?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:09 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Was there any reason you didnt go with the backbrace? Just felt it wasnt needed, or does it create a problem with other parts perhaps?
We did go with the backbrace, if you read on further (I know there's too many pictures) the guy's at Moser realized they didn't put a backbrace on this rear and brought me over one with the backbrace. I have a lot of pic's with the backbrace shown on the rear and everything fits just fine. Thanks. Bob
Old 05-14-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

What would be the difference in weight/strength difference going from a 33 spline axle, up to a 35 spline gun drilled/star flanged axle?

Can you run a gun drilled axle on teh street? Theres posts going both ways on this topic from the searching I have done on here. Some swear you cnat drive on the street at all, but others say they have had em on the street with no problems???

Last edited by BIG BAD BLACKSS; 05-14-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:25 AM
Banned

no you cant use gun drilled on the street??? i asked and got the answer no...i was wondering if this is like dont use drag brakes on the street and they told me no...it was like dont use them on the street. 35 spline i think is good for a long ways...

my question is how important is a backbrace...stock rear has pressed in axle tubes? this is 100 times stronger with welded tubes and like 5 differant pieces of metal welded to it from diff angles...is it worth it?
Old 05-15-2008, 04:48 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by daniel6718
no you cant use gun drilled on the street??? i asked and got the answer no...i was wondering if this is like dont use drag brakes on the street and they told me no...it was like dont use them on the street. 35 spline i think is good for a long ways...

my question is how important is a backbrace...stock rear has pressed in axle tubes? this is 100 times stronger with welded tubes and like 5 differant pieces of metal welded to it from diff angles...is it worth it?
I feel that the backbrace is well worth the $140.00, as without it you may eventually find yourself feeling limited. If you are like most of us, the need for speed can become an obsession! Bob
Old 05-15-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

What about the drilled axles for the street? Why do people say you cant use em? Do they have less "give" because theres no soft center anymore and the center is heat treated/hardened so it wont have any give when going over potholes under load or something? Only thing I can come up with?
Old 05-17-2008, 04:57 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

What about the drilled axles for the street? Why do people say you cant use em? Do they have less "give" because theres no soft center anymore and the center is heat treated/hardened so it wont have any give when going over potholes under load or something? Only thing I can come up with?
With 35 spline axles, I don't see a problem with having them gun drilled for street use. Bob