Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

gear noise,new install

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear noise,new install

how loud is too loud? I have motive perforance 3:73's. Turning up the radio isn't an option if I sell the car someday. Its a street car,not a track car.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

They arent going to get quieter. I have my 9" gears out now cuz they are way too loud, obnoxious on highway. Figuring out a solution.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GM's are a lot louder then the stock 3.23...from what I have been told the Motives are even louder
Old 05-07-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Wow..The shop that put mine in put them in too tight and they are ruined..They ordered a new set,motives and they are going in tomorrow..The sounded like an old bus..The 1st set.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Irocem99
Wow..The shop that put mine in put them in too tight and they are ruined..They ordered a new set,motives and they are going in tomorrow..The sounded like an old bus..The 1st set.

I'm 50 miles into my break-in of my new Moser 12-bolt. 3.73 gears. Let me tell you, quiet aint the word i'd use to describe the rear-end. It had better be as bullet proof as they say or the noise wont be worth it!
Old 05-07-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

That sucks..But your going to take that to the track too,I'm not..If I tried to sell the car and it whined as bad as it did,I would never sell it..
Old 05-08-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine are runied too the lash is all fucked up and they are also motive gear I had to pay for a new set all thought the guy at midas lashed them wrong, Should they pay for a new set? That reminds me does anyone have the stock shim size? The one that goes under the pinion I heard they are all different is that right? The guy who is putting them needs some sort of an idea on where to start.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

I feel your pain..I'm on my 3rd set.They outsourced it to a rear end guy..I should have it back tomorrow.I'm far from happy..
Old 05-09-2008, 06:48 AM
On The Tree

my Richmounds not missed a bet but they are loud!
Old 05-09-2008, 07:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you guys refering to the noise it makes when you launch from a stop?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:23 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by onebadazzls1ta
...... That reminds me does anyone have the stock shim size? The one that goes under the pinion I heard they are all different is that right? The guy who is putting them needs some sort of an idea on where to start.
Yes the stock shims vary a lot, but I think you are in for trouble. The installer needs to be able to read the pattern to set the pinion depth. My shim wound up being quite different from the factory shim, which was also wrong since the factory gear made noise in my car. Knowing the original shim size in my case was meaningless. Your installer might not have the experience needed.

By the way, gear lash only takes minutes to set, I doubt you could get that wrong. However you can always set lash perfectly wherever the pinion happens to be. Setting the lash has no meaning if the pinion depth is wrong. If the pinion is off, the best looking pattern occurs at a lash setting that is out of spec. Only when the pinion depth is right does the lash come into spec and have a good pattern at the same time.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Id say they set them up wrong. I put Motive's 4.56 in my S10 a few month ago and they're nice and quiet. Same went for the 4.10 Richmonds I had put in it a few yrs ago.

My stock shim on my 8.5' was .35. So was my friends ZR2 when I did gears for him.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BJM
Yes the stock shims vary a lot, but I think you are in for trouble. The installer needs to be able to read the pattern to set the pinion depth. My shim wound up being quite different from the factory shim, which was also wrong since the factory gear made noise in my car. Knowing the original shim size in my case was meaningless. Your installer might not have the experience needed.

By the way, gear lash only takes minutes to set, I doubt you could get that wrong. However you can always set lash perfectly wherever the pinion happens to be. Setting the lash has no meaning if the pinion depth is wrong. If the pinion is off, the best looking pattern occurs at a lash setting that is out of spec. Only when the pinion depth is right does the lash come into spec and have a good pattern at the same time.
Excuse my thread jack. BJM, I must say, I like the link to your gear install write up. Probably one of the best I have seen in laymans terms. Sticky worth IMO, if it is not already.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:15 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TJSZ
Excuse my thread jack. BJM, I must say, I like the link to your gear install write up. Probably one of the best I have seen in laymans terms. Sticky worth IMO, if it is not already.
Thanks, I figured people who wanted to try their own gears might find it useful. At least 20 people a day worldwide look at that page.