Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Detroit Locker Slack...Locker Guys come in!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Detroit Locker Slack...Locker Guys come in!

How much slack is normal? I can turn the diff about 30-40 degrees before it has tension. I had a rearend guy look at the center section, said the backlash was maybe a bit much but prly within spec. Where would the rest of the slack come in...the locker?
When I am driving and I let off and press the gas again (big clunck) same with letting off. Torque arm and mount seem nice and tight, and the lca's are new and look just fine.
This slack cant be good for like a transbrake...?
Please help!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

I an't no 'spert, but I will express my opinon, I ran a Detroit Locker in a 427 mustang on the strip & track for over 7 years waaayyyy back in '60s, now running a locker in
Y2K SS/7.50 rear, and building 9"/Detroit locker for spair, as you may guess I LIKE lockers, now back to ?, yes all my lockers have about the amount slack as you, as to the clunk gas/coast, I do have SOME slack, just besure TA/LCA/PANHARD are all tight
just my .02' I think you are normal, Johnny
Old 05-07-2008, 11:20 PM
12 Second Club

Yea i can feel the clunks. It cant be good can it? It seems excessive, ic an understand some slack maybe, but the clunks are pretty heafty.
Itd be good to hear others experiences, thanks for your input ss.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

Just talked to a guy at Moser, hahaha, he said you might be able to turn it a half turn. Right....
Anybody else have and experience with these?
How would a locker work with a transbrake and that much slack? Wouldnt it break the rear?
Old 05-08-2008, 08:20 AM
10 Second Club

What you are describing is the normal operating behavior of an Eaton Detroit Locker. If you don’t believe Moser or your fellow LS1 enthusiasts, do yourself a favor and call the manufacturer of the part. (Eaton) A Google search should provide you with a phone number.

To answer your concern about the trans-brake issue. The Locker would be under load at the starting line and would not have the slack you are describing.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sportfan
What you are describing is the normal operating behavior of an Eaton Detroit Locker. If you don’t believe Moser or your fellow LS1 enthusiasts, do yourself a favor and call the manufacturer of the part. (Eaton) A Google search should provide you with a phone number.

To answer your concern about the trans-brake issue. The Locker would be under load at the starting line and would not have the slack you are describing.
Agreed on all points. I have the same amount of slack in my detroit locker. They make a lot of noise, even more so in a manual trans car.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Ok good to know. I read something on eatons site, anything over 45 degrees should be looked at. We will go with it, appreciate it guys.

Quick Reply: Detroit Locker Slack...Locker Guys come in!