Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear End Problems - Need Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Grinding/Whine - Need Suggestions

Hey everybody, I've been lurking for a while now and thanks to everybody here, I have learned a lot about F-Bodies.

Now I have a problem with my Z. After I first bought it I noticed a wah-wah-wah sound coming from the right rear of the car. The sound varied with speed. I immediately thought axle bearing. The only thing that made me think otherwise was that the sound did not change when turning. I bought a new axle, bearing, seal, and the other goodies to swap it out. I haven't had time to do the work recently so I drove it some more and the sound got a lot worse. Now it almost sounds like a whining/grinding that varies with speed. Again, this sound does not change while turning.

In the mean time I am having some body work on the car. The mechanic tells me that the seal in front of the pinion bearing is leaking. He said I either need a new rear-end, or I should have mine rebuilt. He told me he has a friend that owns a race shop that could rebuild it for me. He still hasn't given me any prices.

The car is a DD and I don't plan on racing, so I don't want to spend $2500 on a 12-bolt, but I thought about trying to find a used stock 10-bolt and swapping it out myself. I have read some of the write-ups on Project Trans Am and it seems pretty easy.

Any suggestions?

-Dan

Last edited by pano7746; 05-12-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

If its a DD, then i would just swap out with a "none" good 10 bolt, they are cheap & easy to come by, i'll be having mine up for sale here soon, i've decided to go with a 9", but i'll be doing some racing & 100 shots on accasion, but i'm sure you can find one for 200.00 or so, depending on the miles, mines at 157K, but it doesn't wine & its a 3.42 gear, i'll let mine go for 200.00, but its going to be a good month or so before i'm ready to sell.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the suggestion. I hope to have mine fixed soon, but if I still need the rear in a month I'll let you know.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:46 PM
FormerVendor

Sounds like pinion bearing failure to me. Increased noise with speed and decreased noise on decel. We have a Mater Timken Kit that will solve thae problem. Just need the mechanic to do the install. Let me know if we can help you out.

Jeff