Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is my rear end falling apart?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my rear end falling apart?

Ok so I hear this rattle only sometimes, at very very low rpm, i.e. a little too low, but also I hear it in low load situations. There is play to my driveshaft, so that I could spin my driveshaft a bit back and forth without the tires needing to spin. Is this bad? The vibrating noise could be from something else, I'mma check the exhaust stuff tomarrow cuz I messed with that but yeah the sound seems like it coming from the back. I guess it would be an excuse to change out my gears but I was gunna save that for later, what do you guys think abou tthe play and the situation?
Old 05-29-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

your going to have play in the driveshaft just not a whole lot.

Is the car a M6 or A4?
What does the sound sound like also?

Try jacking up the rear of the car and spin on wheel see if the other wheel spins the other way. listen for any odd sounds while doing this. If you can grab the pinion and spin it feel for any play while moving it back and forth and making sure both tires move the same way whil you do spin it.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Hmm, maybe it is good. Everything works like it should at least it seems. Out of curiosity, what is that vibration when you are at too low an rpm taking off? I hear that out of all LS1's it seems, I try not to do it Im just curious.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

well do you have an A4 or M6 tranny?

What RPM range are you talking about also?

what does the vibration sound like? fast, loud, quiet...?

Last edited by BlackSS2001; 05-29-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

mine was making a lil noise,,same kinda low end noise,,kinda kept pace with my speed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now its broke. (teeth on the pinion gear)

Good luck
Old 05-31-2008, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Hmm the teeth broke huh? I have a 6 speed manual. The little rattle I was saying out of a bunch of ls1's is at like 500rpm in first gear, kinda like a mid-quiet chatter. I guess Ill jack up my car and get under her with a stethascope or something, its just a bitch to make the sound its spontaneous it seems which may or may not be bad.