Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear & spool & traction control ?'s

Old 05-31-2008, 06:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear & spool & traction control ?'s

i've got a 2002 trans am ws6 m6 that i plan on doin a couple of bolt ons and sprayin it with a 100+ shot. I want slicks/dr's so i can plant my power to the ground and i know the stock rear is ***. I did my research and found that if you plan on launching hard with a m6 you need a 9" ok got that covered. talked to a couple of friends and i want to run a spool instead of a posi unit. now for the questions (spool is a deff. no talkin me out dont waste your time lol) and the car does have 4ch abs right? this is my first time really looking into it.
1.when i turn will the spool make my traction control kick on?(i dont think so because the tc is controlled by wheel speed sensors and only kicks on when the back wheels are spinning faster than the fronts right?)
2.where should i get my 9"?(i hear mix stories about moser i was leaning towards strange but I have no clue what other companies are out there? and im not trying to spend a rediculous amount of cash.)
3.is there anything specific, any upgrades i should look into when buying the rear?
4.the 9" is a direct swap?(i was reading about the s60 and everyone said its a cheaper rear but cost more in the end because the brake backing plates and new driveshaft you need.)

Im more than likely going to be swapping the rear myself so im looking for a direct swap. im just looking into insuring myself now because i love this car and WANT to keep it forever. and i know there's probably a million posts about this but i searched all i could and my searching is limited thanks to damn blockers on the work computer and my lap top slowly taking a crap on me so thanks for reading my long post and thanks for any and all information.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

With a spool you can forget about ABS and TCS. They won't work. Disable them and move on. As far as a rear goes, a Moser is fine with what you want to do. We can get them at good prices. Shoot me a PM on what you are looking for or I can help you spec one out.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree...if you are serious enough to want a spool, TCS/ABS should be the last thing you're worried about.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea i may get rid of abs and tcs because i'd hate to spend this money and wind up blowing out the posi like some of the guys here. so question 1 has been answered for me thanks. now how about the others?
Old 06-01-2008, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

not trying to talk you out of anything, but will make a statement, I like the detroit locker, with which I run ABS/TCS , I ran locker 6-7 years in '60' in a 427 mustang with no problem, now running locker in 10 bolt ABS/TCS no problem
( I do have a 9"/locker ready to go/on standby)
Old 06-02-2008, 09:02 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

spool is a fine choice if you know the characteristics of it. the 4ch abs/tcs is not gonna work for sure. every time you turn a corner the computer needs to see 4 different wheel speeds with 4 ch. the spool will keep the rears at a constant and will set off the light and disable the system.

where to get a 9 inch rear? i have the most true bolt-in 9 inch you can buy. includes features that others charge for, and is custom built to your specs. several features available to suit your driving and performance needs. it is a true fabricated rearend housing and with an aluminum center section is the same weight as the stock 10 bolt. this is the lightest assembly available. Strange and Moser internals are used depending on application. i do all the gear setups myself.

specifics and upgrades are completely up to you and your budget. i will not sell you anything you don't need, but will suggest the correct things for your current and future setups. i would definetly suggest a driveshaft for any rearend other than stock. if you are looking at a low 10 sec. car, the stock shaft will not hold up, especially with a m6 car. i offer a Strange 3 inch chromemoly driveshaft at a discount with a rearend purchase.

my fabricated 9 inch is a direct swap, yes. sway bar mounts are installed, a drain plug is installed, relocator style lca brackets are standard as well as brake line clips, brake hose mounts, and e-brake cable brackets(98-02). but as all aftermarket rearends, you will have to install brake backing plates and caliper mounts onto the axles before the axle bearings are pressed on. these parts become the axle retainer(no more c-clips). you can do the brake component swap yourself and have the axle bearings pressed on, reusing your existing stock brakes. its an easy job. if you don't wanna mess with it, i have new ones available and can send you the axles ready to install or for that matter completely assemble your rearend and ship it to you ready to install. and of course... free shipping.

feel free to call me to discuss your setup and a quote.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

ssvert you will be getting a call from me one of these days
Old 06-04-2008, 09:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

thanks! i can hook you right up with the correct combo and a great price.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I really dont want to offened anyone or tell them they are wrong but since I have a spool AND 4 channel Ill chime in.

Your tcs WILL work!!! My traction control works just fine, and it will ONLY kick in if you are going around a sharp corner EXTREMLY fast(too fast for a spool) otherwise it fuctions as it should.

Your ABS will also work!! Its a little different than with a posi, since the rear axle spinning the same no matter what, but it does work just fine and throws no codes.

Housings, I like my moser housing/axels, one day though I may have to upgrade though, do it once get a fabbed housing or at a MINIMUM pay the extra and get the back brace.

Center sections, I dont like the moser centers. I feel that strange has a FAR better engineered piece. They also have many options the "S"(which I DONT recommend), the ultra case(thier thru-bolt aluminum), and the Pro Nodular Iron(IMO one of the Strongest ones out there, it is heavy though, this is the one I have it has chromoly main caps plenty of "webbing" and reinforces pinion bearing area)

Axels, at a MINIMUM go with 33 spline axels, i went with 35's just because I do run slicks with a 6 speed and that is very hard on the rear.

The reason I chimed in is because no one could tell me if my 4channel would work with the spool, so I gave it a shot, and it does!!

Also if you go with a 4 channel housing, if you ever decide to change to a posi unit, all your hardware/sensors will still be there, its as simple as changing the center section!!

Hope this helps.

Jon
Old 06-04-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

That actually does help a lot I posted this to try specifically to find people that run this setup and how it worked for them. Is the car daily driven? If tcs and abs work as it has been explained to me than how is it that the spool doesn't screw everything up? I'm confused on the whole tcs abs thing so idk what I want to do now. I guess ill figure it out after I talk with Midwest and I planned on getting the full fabbed 9" thanks for all the help
Old 06-04-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No one I knew of or when I posted up replied as having the setup but I tried it anyways. I cant explain why it still works but I can tell you for SURE my ABS/TCS still works, and I have had 0 codes/lights. My car is no longer a DD, however it used to be, I just got a truck that is better on gas.

Jon
Old 06-04-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

there is no difference in the tcs and abs between your car and my car right?
Old 06-05-2008, 12:15 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blk99camaro
Ok, I really dont want to offened anyone or tell them they are wrong but since I have a spool AND 4 channel Ill chime in.

Your tcs WILL work!!! My traction control works just fine, and it will ONLY kick in if you are going around a sharp corner EXTREMLY fast(too fast for a spool) otherwise it fuctions as it should.

Your ABS will also work!! Its a little different than with a posi, since the rear axle spinning the same no matter what, but it does work just fine and throws no codes.

Housings, I like my moser housing/axels, one day though I may have to upgrade though, do it once get a fabbed housing or at a MINIMUM pay the extra and get the back brace.

Center sections, I dont like the moser centers. I feel that strange has a FAR better engineered piece. They also have many options the "S"(which I DONT recommend), the ultra case(thier thru-bolt aluminum), and the Pro Nodular Iron(IMO one of the Strongest ones out there, it is heavy though, this is the one I have it has chromoly main caps plenty of "webbing" and reinforces pinion bearing area)

Axels, at a MINIMUM go with 33 spline axels, i went with 35's just because I do run slicks with a 6 speed and that is very hard on the rear.

The reason I chimed in is because no one could tell me if my 4channel would work with the spool, so I gave it a shot, and it does!!

Also if you go with a 4 channel housing, if you ever decide to change to a posi unit, all your hardware/sensors will still be there, its as simple as changing the center section!!

Hope this helps.

Jon
I concur with Jon . There seems to be a lot of misinformed people that don't understand the technical aspects of ABS and TCS.
But yes your ABS and TCS will still function. Albeit its best to turn the TCS off when making sharp turns or it will be engaging because of the slip angle and different wheel speeds from front to rear.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

good to know i really want to spool this thing and i'm tired of hearing all my hs buddies sayin a spools too much for a street strip car because imma have on in my daily driver lol. thanks alot all of you. when im a little better financially or im **** outta luck with my stocker ill be calling midwest to order one up.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by blk99camaro

Jon

it's not that it won't work... it's more of a business thing. i tend not to sell people a combination that "may turn on your abs light". from a manufacturer standpoint, it either works or it don't. i don't wanna deal with a customer that has a abs problem because of a possible misunderstanding on the abs/tcs operation.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chevrunner21
good to know i really want to spool this thing and i'm tired of hearing all my hs buddies sayin a spools too much for a street strip car because imma have on in my daily driver lol. thanks alot all of you. when im a little better financially or im **** outta luck with my stocker ill be calling midwest to order one up.
On the other hand....

If money is at all an issue, i would possibly reconsider going with a spool

REASON: Tires

I had Kuhmo ASX's in stock size($85/tire 245-50-16) treadwear of 360+(high mileage) and i got 8k out of them.

This last time I spent $360 to get 4 tires shipped, two are now on the car, the others on the shelf at the house.

ssvert99--I see why you would say that, but I have not had any issues with it and I dont see why any would occur since there cant be much variation in placement/design of the components in question.

From a technical standpoint,

the ABS should not see but a very minute variation in wheel speed since there will be no differentiating between the rear tires, and the front as well. As far as I know the ABS/TCS looks for greater variations than what a car will see on a day to day basis.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvert99
it's not that it won't work... it's more of a business thing. i tend not to sell people a combination that "may turn on your abs light". from a manufacturer standpoint, it either works or it don't. i don't wanna deal with a customer that has a abs problem because of a possible misunderstanding on the abs/tcs operation.
no offense, but why not be up front and honest with people insted of saying "it wont work for sure" it obviously works to an extent, just not factory specific, but well enough to keep it if you know how to work it.

i understand the business thing, and some people dont understand these things, but there is no reason to dumb something down to the point where it might scare off potential customers like me. i was under the impression that ABS and ASR will not work period with any 9 inch rearend untill i tried it myself. one of my friends had a 9 inch forsale, i went and looked at it, and it had reluctor rings for ABS just like the 10 bolt, so i bought it, installed it and plugged everything in and it works, just not during hard/fast turns, (spool) which was already stated.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I DD my spool and both ABS and TCS work just fine. I don't really know why everyone complains about them - really not a pain at all.
The following users liked this post:
fucter (01-14-2021)

Search this Thread