Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My 10 Bolt Just Blew Need Your Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default My 10 Bolt Just Blew Need Your Help

It blew this morning and now i'm looking to repalce it. Should I go with a stronger 10 bolt or 12 bolt, and were is the best place to buy one. Thanks for you information.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sway99bird
It blew this morning and now i'm looking to repalce it. Should I go with a stronger 10 bolt or 12 bolt, and were is the best place to buy one. Thanks for you information.
I would go 9", i bought my houseing/axle package from Bob @ EPP, very good people & service, Midwest Chassis is another, i have a total of 1400.00 in my 9", granted its not a Nodular houseing with all the goodies, but its still a hell of alot stronger then the 10 bolt at its best IMO, i found a completely rebuilt 3rd. member on e-bay for 355.00, it has Trac-lock Posi (new clutches), 4 pin carrier, you don't need to spend 2400.00 right off if you can't swing it, just invest in the houseing/axle package for 1000.00, then up-grade from there.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:54 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by LM97Z
I would go 9", i bought my houseing/axle package from Bob @ EPP, very good people & service, Midwest Chassis is another, i have a total of 1400.00 in my 9", granted its not a Nodular houseing with all the goodies, but its still a hell of alot stronger then the 10 bolt at its best IMO, i found a completely rebuilt 3rd. member on e-bay for 355.00, it has Trac-lock Posi (new clutches), 4 pin carrier, you don't need to spend 2400.00 right off if you can't swing it, just invest in the houseing/axle package for 1000.00, then up-grade from there.
Thanks! Here is my link to our 9 inch housing/axle package.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1116

Here is our complete Moser nine inch package with the center section.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145 Bob
Old 06-09-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounded like you have a t-56 and would say 9", if you are a 4L60E the you can get away with a 12 bolt. I have rebuild mine 2 times and said screw it and have a S-60 on it's way. I would say DO NOT rebuild or try to strengthen the 10 bolt. The money you put towards rebuilding can be a good portion of that new 9" or 12 bolt. I've thrown $1500 at my 10 bolt, tell me I don't fell like a retard for not just going through with getting a good rear.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the info i think i'm going to go with tha 12 bolt
Old 06-09-2008, 06:55 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by sway99bird
Thanks for the info i think i'm going to go with tha 12 bolt
Put a 12 bolt into a early Chevelle, Nova, Camaro, etc and you can beat the crap out of it, and not hurt anything. Put one into one of our cars with a torque arm, make a couple 4000 to 5000 dragstrip launches, and I can just about guarantee you'll pick up gear noise. If it is a drag only car, you'll never know or care about the gear noise. Drive your car home from the track, and the noise will drive you nuts. I feel the torque arm stresses the 12 bolt housing, causing distortion. We have never seen this happen with the 9 inch housing.

Exotic Performance Plus strongly recommends the Moser nine inch. This rear is even tougher than the Moser 12 bolt, and the horsepower of the late model F Body cars keeps escalating every year, which requires a very strong rear. With the recent introduction of the 6.2L GM aluminum block and the excellent flowing 6.2 litre heads, the horsepower of these cars is going to just keep climbing at a very fast pace.The nine inch will handle the power, plus we prefer the way the torque arm is bolted to the nine inch in the same way the oem rear-end is attached. (This is the only good thing about the stock 10 bolt...) The Moser 12 bolt uses four short bolts to attach the torque arm, and they have a habit of loosening up, even when loc-tite is used. Why the nine inch is stronger than the 12 bolt. The 9-inch has an internal rear-pinion support that also supports the gear end of the pinion to limit gear deflection under high torque loads. This seems to be the major reason why the 9 inch doesn't start whining after high rpm clutch dumps, when the 12 bolt will pick up noise.The 9-inch locates its pinion gear lower on the ring gear to improve tooth contact, than the 12 bolt does.The 9-inch has a 0.125-inch larger ring-gear diameter and internal pinion support than the 12 bolt does. This is not much of a difference, but it is worth noting. Bob
Old 06-09-2008, 08:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out our website for pricing. Call with any questions. Definately noticed less noise issues with the 9" over the 12 bolt.

Jeff