Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Blown rear end....

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blown rear end....

I hear a lot about peoples rear ends ''going" or "biting the dust". But what exactly happens when your rear end bites the dust? How can you tell? What does it do when it goes out? Ive got an 02 A4 LS1 with a stock rear and im gettin a little whine/wish when cruising but that doesnt mean my rear is gone does it?
Old 06-12-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Blowing a rear end" is usually when someone shears teeth off the ring gear, or breaks a posi unit. Making the car undriveable in most circumstances. Although a a few teeth missing will make a clunk clunk as you accel faster and faster. Manual trans are more notorious bc they produce a "shock" to the driveline when dumping the clutch. While A4s tend to be a little easier on the rear because they preload the driveline. A little whine is normal in these cars, even 9in or 12 bolts will whine most of the time.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1sick'98WS6
"Blowing a rear end" is usually when someone shears teeth off the ring gear, or breaks a posi unit. Making the car undriveable in most circumstances. Although a a few teeth missing will make a clunk clunk as you accel faster and faster. Manual trans are more notorious bc they produce a "shock" to the driveline when dumping the clutch. While A4s tend to be a little easier on the rear because they preload the driveline. A little whine is normal in these cars, even 9in or 12 bolts will whine most of the time.
Yeah i've read that Autos are a lot easier on the rears but i was just confused as to what "actually happens" when somebodys rear end takes a dump....and your sig is frikin awesome dude gotta love yamahas
Old 06-12-2008, 05:29 PM
10 Second Club

my axles twisted apart ........gears held though
Old 06-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ndfrsd6
my axles twisted apart ........gears held though
well..you DO have a 10sec car....the more you hook the harder it is on your rear right? Your sig is awesome too by the way
Old 06-12-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CHIredws6
Yeah i've read that Autos are a lot easier on the rears but i was just confused as to what "actually happens" when somebodys rear end takes a dump....and your sig is frikin awesome dude gotta love yamahas
What happens when they blow...you would be better off asking what doesn't happen when they blow, since they have so many different ways of biting the dust.

A few examples...

- pinion teeth break
- ring gear teeth break
- bearing lets loose, shards of metal everywhere
- differential worm gears blow up and get jammed in everything
- axle breaks
- housing twists, rear off kilter, slow painful death
- runs low on fluid from ever-present pinion seal leak, overheats, dies
- ring gear bolts bust off
- main cap brakes

Some examples are catastrophic, there's no mistaking the damage...others die a slow, noisy, painful death....
Old 06-12-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pinion gear here...

And now im,,