Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Clunky rear end

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clunky rear end

I just bought a 2001 WS6 M6 a week ago and have noticed that the rear end seems to clunk a bit, especially when shifting through the first few gears. What it is I guess is a lot of play between pinion and ring gear? I had the car on a lift before I bought it and was able to turn the driveshaft back in forth maybe 1/8th of a turn and it would make a clunk noise from the rear end. The mechanic said its normal but IDK...

I’m having the car looked at again for something else and mentioned to look at the rear again, and would like to know if there’s any way to tell if there’s too much play between pinion and ring gear without taking cover off? Should you be able to turn the driveshaft about 1/8th of a turn before the gears mesh?

When off the throttle just coasting in a high gear at like say 1,200rpm I can feel the car bucking forward and back a tiny bit from that play in the rear end, is that normal?

Sorry for all the questions, tried to describe it the best I could.

Thanks!
- Dave

Last edited by David_viny; 06-15-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably not ring gear backlash. I would guess it's slop in the stock differential from being wailed on. My car does the same thing, and I set my backlash at .004. All of the "slop" is in the stock auburn diff. I wonder when it will blow!!!
Old 06-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Launching!

nooo mine betta not blow... lol This sucks, I really want to drive the car hard sometimes but now I have this bad feeling the rear's gonna blow.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

drive it hard and gernade that 10 bolt. Then you'll have an excuse to get a 12 bolt of 9" rear-end with no worries, lol. Time will come eventually, why not now.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Teching In

i just got mine back, same symptoms as yours. sounds like a flat tire in the rear right? Take it in tell them too look at the axles and the pinion. My pinion snapped a tooth off and caused the axles to vibrate according to the mechanic which caused pitting in the axles. This leads to the clunking sound with the car is in motion. The bearings hit the pitted spots and make a noise. I needed 2 new axles and a new ring and pinion which equals an entire rebuild plus new axles.

Mine went with 22k for miles on the car but on the plus it was covered under warranty.

Good luck.