Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Advice needed on tools to replace axle bearing and reluctor ring

Old 06-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Advice needed on tools to replace axle bearing and reluctor ring

My car has made a romp, romp, romp noise from the rear-end ever since I bought it 2 years ago and about 7000 miles ago. The sound is constant with speed. The faster I go, the faster the sound gets, same with the slower it goes, the slower the sound gets. The sound is the same on the gas, coasting and breaking...

I decided to break into the rear end this weekend.. Pulled the drivers side axle out and notice it was all pitted up where it rides on the bearing. I also pulled the differental out to take a look at the carrier bearings and they are fine. Not a mark on them.. I'm going to take a chance and leave the pinion bearing alone and not even try to look at it..

I have the 4 channel ABS/TCS rear. I bought an axle,axle bearing and seal set from JawsGear today.

I have searched and searched for the right tools I need to take out the bearing and found an axle bearing puller from Summit, but where can I get the right tool to install it and the seal? I also will be buying a slide hammer..

I have also found to get the reluctor ring off to heat it up some and pry at it with a screw driver... Can someone point me in the right direction on what type of press I need to buy to get the ring back on the new axle...

Thanks for any advice ahead of time...
Old 06-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Banned

That same noise got the better of me earlier today, so I took my rear apart with the intent of getting it back together today. I found the drivers side axle pitted also. I got a Timken axle repair bearing for that.
I had no tools so I made them, cost: $0, time to make: 10 minutes.
I used two small block harmonic balancer washers, one cut to fit through the bearing, a piece of all thread rod, I also used a big adjustable wrench to keep the outer washer from going into the housing. And I installed the bearing with a big socket.
Sounds rough but no parts were damaged, not even the old bearing.
Here are some pics of it all. And yes I did get it running.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 01-06-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice and pictures man !

So the 1 5/8 socket fit the bearing perfect and you just hammered it in? I guess the axle seal went in ok with that socket also?

Now I just have to figure out this reluctor wheel situation
Old 06-23-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat the reluctor to around 250* to 300* in your oven and chill the end of the axle were the ring goes in a bag of ice, The ring will slip right on. After the ring cools it there to stay. Let it cool down on it own, Do not pore water or any thing to rapid cool.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Nice homemade tool !
Old 06-25-2008, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too got that romp,romp,romp sound noise too,with gear wine.I really thought It might be the pinion bearings.So its the Axle bearings that make this annoying sound right?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RobZ
I too got that romp,romp,romp sound noise too,with gear wine.I really thought It might be the pinion bearings.So its the Axle bearings that make this annoying sound right?
Could be. Pinion bearings spin faster so they sound different when they go bad, more of a steady bad sound.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Launching!

autozone/advance auto rents a complete slide hammer kit to pull wheel bearings/seals...it works very well. Took me all of 30 secs. to pull each wheel bearing out of my mustang last week with the advance auto slide hammer kit.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Could be. Pinion bearings spin faster so they sound different when they go bad, more of a steady bad sound.

I'm just a beginner at this rear end stuff. I thought my problem was the pinion bearing all along and just thought I would not get lucky enough for my problem to be the axle/ axle bearing.. I'm never that lucky... When I started pulling the axles out and saw the big groove dug into my axle I knew that was at least one of my problems. The pinion bearing scares me.. So I'm replacing the axle, the axle bearing and seal. Fulling up with Royal Purple and the GM LSD fluid...

If the sound is still there, oh well.. I'm out about about 2 hours in work and $30 in fluids.

Your problem seems like it may be something more then mine. Mainly I'm speaking about the whine. It's not a hard job at all to pull the axles and at least look...

Good luck man
Old 06-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Talking

Originally Posted by 05MBMLS2
autozone/advance auto rents a complete slide hammer kit to pull wheel bearings/seals...it works very well. Took me all of 30 secs. to pull each wheel bearing out of my mustang last week with the advance auto slide hammer kit.
Which Mustang? I test drove an 04 stock Cobra last year.. Nice ride, I'm still thinking about getting one.. It's between that an Acura TL-S depening on what gas prices keep on doing...

Autozone is where I was going to be heading this weekend... Thanks for the info..

Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice needed on tools to replace axle bearing and reluctor ring