Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Are the Carrier Bearing races side specfic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the Carrier Bearing races side specfic?

Last question for everyone that has helped me out..

Pulled the axles and found that I have one chewed up axle and I guess a bad axle bearing. While the axles were out I decided to pull the differential out also to check the carrier bearings.. They did not have a mark on them , so I'm gonna chance it and not do anything and just put the diff back in...

I know the main caps are side specfic from what I have read, but after I pulled everything out I read that the races for the carrier bearing should also be installed on the same side they came out off.. If this is true, I screwed up.. I marked the shims, caps and even the c-clips on what side they go on but I just sat the races down with the diff in my garage...

Think I will be ok?

Also , I hope the diff goes back in easier then it came out.. I'm planning on putting the diff back in with the drivers side shim and then going to try and fit the pass side shim in place... Sound about right?
Old 06-24-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

New carrier bearing races are not side specific,used ones have established a wear pattern from the bearing with which they WERE mated to.Good luck.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Ok, well it looks like I will be buying a basic install bearing kit then and a bearing puller.. Oh well.. Mo Money, Mo Money!

Thanks for the caution and advice
Old 06-24-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

If the bearings are good,then just buy new races,but with the price of a 'kit' vs. buying all the components of a kit individually,a kit is the better economical option in case you need to replace/use some other items from the kit.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Can you buy just the races? I didn't know that... Could you point me in the direction of some place that may just sell the races?

I can just buy one of the more basic rear kits and maybe just tackle those carrier bearings while they are out and pray I don't screw the new ones up getting them on....
Old 06-24-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

I pick up individual components at swap meets from vendors that specialize in rear ends.
NAPA lists 'carrier bearing cups',best to take an old cup/race along to make sure you get a match and not rely on what they say is a match.
Typically,the last 4 or 5 numbers stamped on the race identify the bearing,irregardless of manufacturer,so a Timken=SKF(the 2 major reliable brands for tapered roller bearings-lot of oddball and oversea suppliers out there)
Edit added:
Timken P/N LM501314
Toyo-japan-good
NTN-usa-good
I've seen bearings from China(rough),Korea,France(junk-dimensionally wrong)

Last edited by FirstYrLS1Z; 06-24-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Teching In

I found Differential Bearing Cups on Napa's site.. I may just try to buy the carrier bearings and caps that you mentioned that are of good quality..

New question, without searching yet I'm guessing it is not a good idea to heat up the bearing to get it back on the diff is it? I will just buy or rent a jaw puller to get the bearing off and see what I can find by searching the site or going to Sears on how to get the bearings back on without damageing them..

Thanks for all your help.. Even though I barely drive the car, I can wait to have that rear silent. I could almost feel the vibration from the bad axle on the floor board...
Old 06-24-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Getting carrier bearings off-very difficult-specialized tool or a press or a visit to the GM dealer.Getting carrier bearings on-relatively easy-start it with a piece of wood and as it gets progressively harder,use an appropriately sized large socket.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Banned

I've mixed them up before, I've also replaced one used cup with another used cup. Only because I typically work on my stuff when the stores are closed. Never had one fail yet.
The shims need to stay on the side they came from.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
I've seen bearings from China(rough),Korea,France(junk-dimensionally wrong)
I got a question for you.
Advance Auto has SKF bearings, they stock $19.99 wheel bearings that are SKF made in china. The number is CR1563 made in china.
They can order an SKF R1563 for $33. Does the C stand for china? Seems to be the only difference.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Guess the bearings will stay on then.. I'll just get some new races..

I hope the wheel bearings I ordered from Jawsgear are of high quality. On the site it did not mention the manufacturer...

Hopefully all my parts get here before this weekend.. I'll post back with any problems/questions... or my sucess story..

Quick Reply: Are the Carrier Bearing races side specfic?