Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Axle seal leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle seal leak?

Hey guys last night while gassing up I smelled gear oil. I looked underneath and checked the rear and everything seemed to be okay so I didn't think too much of it. So today I smelled it again so I looked in the daylight and could see some wet spots on my tire's sidewall. I look closer and the caliper and the inside of the rim have a bunch of gear oil on them. Axle seal, right? I know how to change the seal but have one question. I have a TA girdle on my car. Being that I am just pulling an axle will I have to mess with the preload screws on the girdle or can i just take it off and reinstall it without messing with the preload screws? Also I have an Auburn in my car. I don't remember if the Auburn uses posi additive or not. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned

I'd just retorque the cover preload.

The Auburn diff requires non synthetic only and 4 oz gm or ford friction modifier.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
I'd just retorque the cover preload.

The Auburn diff requires non synthetic only and 4 oz gm or ford friction modifier.
Thanks, yeah I found the instructions that came with the girdle in the garage last night so I will just back out the preload screws and retorque them. I knew I needed non synthetic gear oil, but couldn't remember if I needed the additive or not. I got all the parts and will knock the job out tommorrow.