Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

In middle of Moser 9" install

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default In middle of Moser 9" install

So far all is going ok. Couple nasty revelations.

1. Had to grind the $h%t out of the parking brake/ brake cable backet to fit the new LCA mounts (had to elongate the bolt holes on the brake brackets by 1" each).

2. Noted that the stock brake line is probably going to look like a$$ on the Moser. Debating about painting the lines black to try and hide it.

3. Took the stock 10-bolt out and installed the Moser 9" housing w/ a motorcycle jack. That thing worked great. But, with the LCA's and shocks installed, the center section of the housing is facing up at the belly of the car. Wondering how I'm going to rotate this to get the Panhard rod and Torque Arm in.......

Also, got the housing powdercoated. Man, that looked great! Va Speed hooked me up w/ that. Downside is I had to use a carbide grinder to remove the powder coating from all the bolt holes for LCA's, etc. Made the holes too small......

So, 3 hours of labor and I only have the housing 1/2 installed

Anyone that has $0.02 to help me for the rest of the install....I'd appreciate that.

Finally, it is the 3-channel setup. Va Speed checked the ABS sensor depth. Will find out if I get an ABS light soon enough......
Old 06-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schantin
the center section of the housing is facing up at the belly of the car. Wondering how I'm going to rotate this to get the Panhard rod and Torque Arm in...
Usually I put a bottle jack under the very end of the drivers side panhard bar mount to turn the housing enough to get the TA installed. You could put a bolt through the mount and jack it on the bolt to keep from damaging the powdercoating.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The weight of the center section should rotate it down enough for everthing to line up a little better, but if not then a jack will do the trick.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got mine from EPP, but either way, the houseing should be the same, mine went in without a hitch, fairly simple installation, i also installed it with the 3rd. member in it, just used a big floor jack, i don't understand why the houseing would be pointing up. the first thing i did was the spring placement, then lifted it in place, then installed stands on each end, i had my LCA brackets installed by Moser, anyways, i hooked them up next, then the the Panhard bar, it was a bit finiky, but not bad, then i installed the shocks, then the bracket for the TA, my E brake cables went in, i just pasted them through the back of the shock where they mount, they went on a downward angle, then turned then in & snapped them in place, i didn't have to cut anything, i did have to get a new torque arm though, the edelbrock unit wouldn't fit. I checked the pinion angle, its right at -3*.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Appreciate the responses. Will probably try the bottle jack under the panhard mount.

As for the center section of the housing pointing at the belly of the car....it's not straight up! It's tilted about 25-30 degrees. Springs are in the perches and the shocks/LCA's are connected. But, w/out the torque arm and panhard installed....nothing's keeping it from rotating like it currently is.

Also, no idea how the stock parking brake bracket could install w/out elongating the bolt holes. I have the dop mounts welded for the LCA's....and it was 1" off when I slid the braket over the mounts. Thanks to Mr. Dremel and 1 carbide grinder....all is well now
Old 06-30-2008, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can do it Phil.piece of cake mang.good luck.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 35th SS
you can do it Phil.piece of cake mang.good luck.
I know I can do it Rex......it's just taking 3x longer to install the 9" than it took to rip the 10-bolt out. Not to mention I don't want to scratch the powder coating on the housing If I'm lucky I'll have the center section by mid-week and can finish it off.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know I can do it Rex......it's just taking 3x longer to install the 9" than it took to rip the 10-bolt out. Not to mention I don't want to scratch the powder coating on the housing If I'm lucky I'll have the center section by mid-week and can finish it off.
How are you doing up the 3rd. member? What gears are you going with?
Old 06-30-2008, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LM97Z
How are you doing up the 3rd. member? What gears are you going with?
True-trac w/ either 4.10 or 4.11 gears (Not sure which Va Speed ordered for it....). Housing is the Moser nodular iron one for the center section. 31-spline axles as well. Housing is a Moser F-body unit with backbrace powdercoated black w/ LCA relocation brackets welded in and BMR mounts for the sway bar.

Last edited by Schantin; 06-30-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

True-trac w/ either 4.10 or 4.11 gears (Not sure which Va Speed ordered for it....). Housing is the Moser nodular iron one for the center section. 31-spline axles as well. Housing is a Moser F-body unit with backbrace powdercoated black w/ LCA relocation brackets welded in and BMR mounts for the sway bar.

Badass, Thanks.