Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

shew damn... need some help from u gear guys

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shew damn... need some help from u gear guys

alright first off when i bought the car it had 4.10's in it and they had the normal whine to them but not bad at all (dont know the brand)... well i screwed up at the track and went from 2nd to 1st at redline and skidded the car down the track to a dead stop... so i had a gm mechanic put some motive 3.73's in for me and from the day i had them put in they whine like hell and are alot louder than the 4.10's were... been in for about a year now and last week i had another shop look at it for me to try to fix it... well they said the bearings were worn bad and the backlash was off pretty bad... well i had them put new bearings in and set the backlash... i picked my car up thinkin it was going to be alot quieter and now it's even louder than before... i trust these guys and they do good work so i'm thinking i've messed something else up when i f'ed up at the track.... any suggestions on what the problem is and what i need to have looked at?? this is killin me....
they guy at the shop did tell me my set up was odd, that the spider gears were set up weird... idk tho.. maybe i just got a bad set of Motives??
Old 06-30-2008, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brandon_01_ta
alright first off when i bought the car it had 4.10's in it and they had the normal whine to them but not bad at all (dont know the brand)... well i screwed up at the track and went from 2nd to 1st at redline and skidded the car down the track to a dead stop... so i had a gm mechanic put some motive 3.73's in for me and from the day i had them put in they whine like hell and are alot louder than the 4.10's were... been in for about a year now and last week i had another shop look at it for me to try to fix it... well they said the bearings were worn bad and the backlash was off pretty bad... well i had them put new bearings in and set the backlash... i picked my car up thinkin it was going to be alot quieter and now it's even louder than before... i trust these guys and they do good work so i'm thinking i've messed something else up when i f'ed up at the track.... any suggestions on what the problem is and what i need to have looked at?? this is killin me....
they guy at the shop did tell me my set up was odd, that the spider gears were set up weird... idk tho.. maybe i just got a bad set of Motives??
When gears ae set up improperly, the uneven wear pattern between the ring and pinion gear causes wear + the whine. Even when the in=mproperly set up gear mesh is corrected, the wear is still there and the gears will thus still whine (though probably not as bad). The only way to eliminate it is to get a fresh set of gears and have them installed properly. 3.73's should not whine (in a 10-bolt anyways). Which brings up the related....most dealership mechanics ae code readers/parts replacers. I had to set my own gears at the dealership on my former LT1 Camaro cause the mechanic didnt understand the backlash!!! Long story behind that.....but you get the point! (and yes, I got a hell of a discount as a result )
Old 07-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Schantin
When gears ae set up improperly, the uneven wear pattern between the ring and pinion gear causes wear + the whine. Even when the in=mproperly set up gear mesh is corrected, the wear is still there and the gears will thus still whine (though probably not as bad). The only way to eliminate it is to get a fresh set of gears and have them installed properly. 3.73's should not whine (in a 10-bolt anyways). Which brings up the related....most dealership mechanics ae code readers/parts replacers. I had to set my own gears at the dealership on my former LT1 Camaro cause the mechanic didnt understand the backlash!!! Long story behind that.....but you get the point! (and yes, I got a hell of a discount as a result )
well u only live about 3 or 4 hrs from me so come set up my gears for me cause apparently nobody around here knows how to do it! haha
Old 07-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Launching!

anybody else?