Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

well, my rearend finally broke

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well, my rearend finally broke

Ive had this weird noise going on in my rearend since I bought the car. It already had 4.10 gears installed that were put in at Wyotech Automotive School. I was driving from NC to PA and about 60 miles south of Pittsburgh I let off the gas and heard this awful grinding sound. I limped it to the nearest town trying to keep it under load where it didn't make any noise. Well, the next day I get it looked at and the pinion nut had backed its way off causing the pinion gear to run into the carrier. Has anyone had this happen? I worked in an automotive shop for 5 years and never saw this. I am wondering if that was my noise the whole time. Well, I had to get a junkyard rearend, so I could get back home to work, and I am stuck with 3.42 gears. What a difference. The car seems so much slower with those compared to the 4.10s. Going to save up and get a 9" soon.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:49 AM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen the pinion nut back off before. seems like manuals are so much harder on the rears than auuto's as well. It likely was the noise you had the whole time. The pinion bearings where prolly tearing themself's up form no pre-load & the pinion floppin' around.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99345hp
Going to save up and get a 9" soon.

^^^^ great idea for a M6 car!