Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

moser 9" inner seal replacement help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default moser 9" inner seal replacement help!

Better title would be Help! Moser 9" axle shaft removal! I can't believe I need help with this but here I am. I didn't do the install because of a trade deal. Now I've got an inner seal leaking. Caliper, bracket, rotor and parking brake shoe is all off Backing plate is loose. For some reason the shaft won't come out. It turns fine so it's not bearing sieze. I've gone from mallot to hammer to prybar. Am I missing something?
Now that I look at it. What the hell keeps the shaft bolted in? Typical 9 has an inner flange that bolts to the housing end, but these just have the brake backing plate bolted to the ends.

Last edited by moneypit00; 07-19-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: more info.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:19 AM
roy
TECH Resident

If you have a 4 channel, is the abs/tcs sensor removed?
You made need to get a slide hammer and give it a couple good pulls to remove the shaft.

Just a note , if your axle bearings are using a thick bearing retaining/press ring, you will not be able to use a separate oil seal. There is just not enough room for it and the ring will contact the seal and destroy it.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

abs/tcs sensor is removed. I'm going to try the prybar again tomorrow while the PB Blaster soaks for a bit. I'll look into the press ring thing once I get it out. However I've got 40,000 miles on this and doubt that is a problem. Thanks though!
Old 07-20-2008, 12:42 AM
roy
TECH Resident

The oring around the outside of the bearing racing can be quite stubborn, especially if it is not lubed prior to installing.
Just an fyi Moser bearings are sealed units and shouldn't leak. If it is leaking, bearing grease is being washed out by gear oil. My only recourse and it has been a hit and miss situation with Moser bearings is to replace them since Moser went to the bigger press ring which negates the inner oil seal
Old 07-20-2008, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

No inner oil seal? Can't wait to get this thing apart to see this for myself. I'm familiar with Toyota 8in. 4x4 designed axles which are nearly the same as a 9 in and even they put an inner axle tube seal along with the sealed bearing. This is what I get for not doing it myself in the first place. Well, I'm going to beat on this thing for an hour and see how she does. If no luck I'll try the slide hammer. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

Problem solved! I went to Autozone and rented a slide hammer. Found out they also carry an axle puller flange attatchment. Took about 10 blows and presto! As for no inner seal.....Mine has one. Just as suspected. These seals work together and not independent just like the toyota 8in. If you have a leak plan on replacing both the bearing and the inner seal. Thanks to all......Now on to finding parts and a press.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:35 PM
roy
TECH Resident

So you already have the new bearing ? Is the press ring the normal thickness ? Or is it like in the picture below? I aligned the oil seal on the shaft where it had scribed a mark. There was no room with the thicker press rings.
When I bought my moser in 2000 I also had inner seals . But 3 months ago when I replaced the bearings and got new bearings from Moser, the press rings were thicker and would not work with the inner oil seal because the press ring butted up against the seal. Either way Good luck
Old 07-20-2008, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Default here is mine

Guess mine does have the newer bearing. Your pic will sure help since I've never seen that before.
Attached Thumbnails moser 9" inner seal replacement help!-001.jpg  
Old 07-20-2008, 11:38 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Money Pit
That bearing is missing a press ring. The old style had a thin pressring and the new style which is the same bearing but a thicker pressring. Also the standard practice is to have the oring portion of the bearing facing out and not in.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Well, it's friday night and guess what! F...... car is still on jackstands. Picked up my axle shaft with new bearing today from my local builder. First thing I noticed was this crazy spacer on top of the bearing. (same one from pic above). He say's there all like that now. So I go home and slap the bitch together. Guess what.....Searching on here has revealed I've got the larger press ring. WTF! This design makes NO sense at all. Now I realize I have to drive out and rent a slide hammer AGAIN and either wait for days on end to get the correct part installed or remove the inner oil seal.
Now I understand what ROY was trying to show me in the pic.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:58 PM
10 Second Club

The larger press ring will not interfere with the axle seal. The axle seal gets installed into the housing end with a seal driver. If you have installed the housing seal to the proper depth there are no clearance issues. (by design)
The larger press ring was necessary for the tire shake experienced with a drag radial setup.
Moser Engineering is the only manufacturer to provide the added safety of the wider press ring.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

Well, I don't have a caliper or depth gauge so measurements might be a little rough, but it seems as though the combined length of the bearing, ring and seal was about an 1/8 too long. So I removed the inner seal and tried it again......Same thing. I can't get the backing plates flush because the bearing is potruding about an 1/8th. So I tried cinching it down using the t-bolts. The slightest torque and the axle locks up tight. Won't turn and still not flush. So I thought maybe I've got an axle length issue like others but this is the same gear I've run 40K miles on. Also my measurements show that the bearing isn't too thick.......That was the point I dropped everything and called it a night.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:40 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Money if you find a bearing that comes with a thinner pressring thatworks please post up the number.
One of Mosers so called non leaking bearings is leaking . I am hot. Moser won't replace it because the bearing doesn't come with a warranty. Moser must have some of the stupidest engineers on staff when it comes to this research and development and product improvement. I had tis axle 5 years and have gone through 8 sets of bearings.
Just a warning to others , if you are going to autocross or road race with a Moser 9inch , don't get it with ballbearing axle bearings. Get with the A20 or similar tapered roller bearing axle bearing.

Moneypit you should be able to tug that axle out fairly easy without a slide hammer.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:45 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sportfan
The larger press ring will not interfere with the axle seal. The axle seal gets installed into the housing end with a seal driver. If you have installed the housing seal to the proper depth there are no clearance issues. (by design)
The larger press ring was necessary for the tire shake experienced with a drag radial setup.
Moser Engineering is the only manufacturer to provide the added safety of the wider press ring.
Sport fan that doesn't work. You can install the seal to the proper depth but you have les than a mm of clearance from the press ring and the seal. Jus take a look at the above. Once the car is generating sideforces it starts hitting the seal. Moser recommends removing the seal , because it is not needed in their opinion.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:50 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by moneypit00
Well, I don't have a caliper or depth gauge so measurements might be a little rough, but it seems as though the combined length of the bearing, ring and seal was about an 1/8 too long. So I removed the inner seal and tried it again......Same thing. I can't get the backing plates flush because the bearing is potruding about an 1/8th. So I tried cinching it down using the t-bolts. The slightest torque and the axle locks up tight. Won't turn and still not flush. So I thought maybe I've got an axle length issue like others but this is the same gear I've run 40K miles on. Also my measurements show that the bearing isn't too thick.......That was the point I dropped everything and called it a night.
Money pit
This was problem that Moser had and gave two solutions
1. Shorten the axle by cutting the specified amount off
2. Don't fully seat the bearing on the axle shaft. (Stupid in my opinion)

If you look in the photo of your axle it looks like option two was used on the previous bearing.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Turns out something changed when this new bearing went on. I've started to gring down the end of the shaft and sure enough each time I do it the axle fits better. I guess the width of the lower race on my new bearing is smaller than the old which causes the axle shaft to slide in more. I'd pull the pass side to compare but I'm done messing with it so that's not going to happen.
Searching has allowed me to do most everything, but it's nice to get some help when needed. Thanks to all.........

Quick Reply: moser 9" inner seal replacement help!