Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ive got a whiner! Help me out Please

Old 08-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ive got a whiner! Help me out Please

Yup i got a 10 bolt and it whines/hums/virbrates/clunks. I am pretty mechanically inclined but one thing i never learned about in the years are rearends. Ive been reading a few posts, and i have a feeling i have bad pinion bearings, one of the major things is there is not company around me that specializes in rearend work, and i DO NOT trust auto shops, itll probably be a bad pinion bearing and end up costing me 1000 dollars. But anyway, ill start off with my problems the best that i can. if i start in 1st gear and shift to 2nd normally if makes a clunk....sounds like the driveshaft....so i crawled up under my car and grabbed the driveshaft with my hand and turned it while the car was in neutral...it has ALOT of play and clunks pretty loud..thats my 1st problem, could it just be wore out? car has 99k miles. Next when im driving and LET OFF the gas it makes a humming or whining sound real loud, when i give it gas it goes away, likewise it quiets down when i push the clutch in. Bearings?? Another...when im doing like 70 and let off my car shakes real bad im pretty sure its cause my driveline has so much play its throwing it out of balance? Im sorry for all the questions but im lost when it comes to rear ends.

The car i have is a 96 Trans am Ws6 if that helps at all, ill try to answer any of your questions if i didnt give enough information.. THanks in advance!!!!!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

bad pinion bearing should leak dope if the bearing went the gear lube willbe glittery . I would remove the driveshaft and check the u-joints any slop or gritty fealing and they r bad when the shaft is out check the yolk it should move smoothly .007 backlash @ 25 inlbs of preload. once this is repaierd. you can run thicker dope 80/140 and shoud change it more often
http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...ild/index.html

Last edited by fuzchunk; 08-24-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Launching!

I just got the time to take my driveshaft off and the u-joints look and feel good. The pinion knuckle seems like it has alot of play in it though, not just left to right but it seems loose up and down a little bit maybe its normal?, is it possible that the gears are just wore out?? the car has 99k on it. Thanks for reply though.

EDIT: there is some gear oil coming out from where the knuckle is, cant tell if its glittery though.

Search this Thread