Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

All Axle Repair Bearings are NOT Created Equal!

Old 08-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Axle Repair Bearings are NOT Created Equal!

So for the last week or so I've been lurking around the board trying to figure out what that WhooshWhooshWhooshWhoosh sound was coming from the rear of my car. At first I thought it was road noise, so I re-balanced and rotated my tires. Wrong! It was axle bearings.

This is my DD and I am on a budget. Before I even tore the rear end apart, I assumed that the noisy drivers side bearing had chewed up the axle (I was right). I've read a lot about the Timken axle repair bearings sold at Autozone. They are basically built with a longer housing to relocate the bearings. This allows the bearings to ride on a different part of the axle--one that's not chewed up. The seal is incorporated into the unit and the whole thing sticks out of the rear end about .25". See attached pic. This makes it a tight squeeze to get the C clips back in, but it works.

I decided to do the passenger side also. If the passenger side went out after I went to the trouble of replacing the drivers side, Id've kicked myself. Though there was no problem with the passenger side, but I decided to use another axle repair bearing on this side, too. Call me crazy, but I was afraid I might have alignment problems down the road if one bearing stuck out .25" and the other was flush. Does that make sense?

Anyway, Autozone only had one. Despite my better judgment, I decided to use a different brand on the other side (this was my only day to get it done). I went to carquest and bought their store brand one--the LAST one they had.

Out of the box, there was an immediate difference. Even though the Carquest one was a generic store brand, it was longer and heftier than the Timken from Autozone. Longer, but with a tapered end (facing inward toward the diff) so that the *** end of it would stick out of the axle housing the same .25" as the Timken. It seemed to also have more rubber on the seals--everything seemed thicker and sturdier. This being the case, I used the Carquest bearing on the damaged drivers side axle, and the Autozone Timken on the undamaged passenger side. Literally a side-by-side comparison!

A few hours later the car was done and back at home. I made a drink and walked outside to look at my car and enjoy my Saturday night at home (tell me you don't get drunk and just look at your car). What do I see? A puddle of oil under my passenger side wheel! A ******* puddle! Holy ****, the Autozone Timken bearing DIDN'T EVEN MAKE IT HOME.

As the title says, ALL AXLE REPAIR BEARINGS ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL.

epilogue: I took time off of work this morning, went to a different Carquest, and now both sides are running Carquest axle repair bearings without incident.
Attached Thumbnails All Axle Repair Bearings are NOT Created Equal!-rearaxledrawningandcallouts.jpg  

Last edited by brandotron; 08-25-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Teching In

How did you get the c clips back in after putting in the repair bearing on mine the axle won't go in far enough because the bearing sticks out of the housing just enough that the clips won't go in.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:50 AM
Launching!

I had to pound the bearing in a few extra times and have somebody push the axle in while I put the c clips back in. It only buys you a few millimeters at most, but there's juuuust enough room.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

how much was the carquest repair bearing?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Launching!

I think it was 35 or 40 bucks. Almost twice the cost of the AZ bearing, but well worth it.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Timken, Timken, Timken!!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

i always hear that timkens leak like a bitch.

and... well... autozone had 2 in stock... but couldn't find them.

I'm running on a NAPA brand now.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

and... the carquest bearing is $51 dollars.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone who put these in have the traction control. i wonder if they will work for me.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just put a NAPA repair bearing in.

It's working great, takes a bit to get the c clip in.

I DO have traction control.

If I ever have to pull the axle again I'll probably have to dremel out the c-clip. lol. but for now, it's working great.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok sweet action thanks man you just made my day.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

carqquest and napa carry better bearings always. they are more expenssive but who cares when they work and last 2-3 times longer than a bearing that is a few dollars cheaper.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

the napa one was actually the cheapest bearing there was. autozone just couldn't find the timken that they had TWO of in stock. lol.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i put in the timken brand and its leaking on me got the carquest axle saver bearings....trying to get this dam c clip out anyone have any other ideas how to get it out? thanks
Old 08-04-2009, 02:46 AM
TECH Veteran

damn VATOZONE by us always loses ****, probably cuz they steal and sell ****, lol
Old 08-04-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

i ordered my outer wheel bearings and seals from gm..i wonder what brand they are..? in any case, i had TDP install them and they work beautifully and haven't ever leaked.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:33 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So to summerize, Carquest and Napa bearings are good, autozone are crap? Any manufacturer info on the carquest ones?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Not to revive an older thread, but I had the same problem and a Napa repair center said they tried to use a repair paring for my passenger side, but couldn't get the axle in far enough so they put new bearings in the same place just to make my noise worse! and they charged me $210 for it. They said I should be happy now that I know where the noise is coming from. He wants me to put in new axles. I'd rather not spend money on a 10 bolt so I really wish a repair bearing woulda worked.. I don't have a budget for a new rear-end. Not when my throw out bearing in the clutch seems to be going.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AdmAnt13
Not to revive an older thread, but I had the same problem and a Napa repair center said they tried to use a repair paring for my passenger side, but couldn't get the axle in far enough so they put new bearings in the same place just to make my noise worse! and they charged me $210 for it. They said I should be happy now that I know where the noise is coming from. He wants me to put in new axles. I'd rather not spend money on a 10 bolt so I really wish a repair bearing woulda worked.. I don't have a budget for a new rear-end. Not when my throw out bearing in the clutch seems to be going.
You can get a used axle for a good price, people almost give them away when they upgrade. Just post in your local/regional room that you are looking for one.

Then ditch the repair bearing and replace with the regular bearing and seal. Fyi, Autozone rents the axle bearing puller for free if you want to save $$ and do it yourself.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the middle of this project right now. passenger side is cashed. drivers side looks good. not sure whether im gonna replace it or not. guess ill see how hard it is to get the pass side C clip back in. have 2 carquest repair bearings.

anyway...i havent tried real hard yet but any tips on getting the original bearing out? I know they make a tool that does it which i can go get but just seeing if anyone got it done with basic tools. thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All Axle Repair Bearings are NOT Created Equal!