Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt to 12 bolt

Old 08-26-2008, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 10 bolt to 12 bolt

I have a 10 bolt right now im in the market of picking up a 12 bolt. I already have a th400 with a 4000 kone converter and i am not using a trans brake.
I have acouple question if anyone can answer them please do, thanks

1. which gear should i get 4:11 or higher.... this car will have street time but not everyday.
(the car is N/A and will never have a power adder on it)

2. which brand should i use, moser or strange. is there even a dif ?

3. I have LCA and PHB for my 10 bolt, are they the same ?

4. Is it cheaper to just go through a company like FLP or Manafucator ?

5. Is a spool worth the money ?

and most importantly would it be better then a built 10 bolt ?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spools are badass as far as the track goes, streetability...not so much. And there is no comparison for a built 10 bolt and a 12 bolt. The 10 bolt blows goats! Moser and Strange maybe use slightly different materials but essentialy the same...I think the LCA and PHB are reusable for the 12 bolts. If it was a 9'' or dana, I'm sure they would need to be replaced...
Old 08-26-2008, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

which is leaving me what gear should i go with ?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:56 PM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/376207-want-know-effect-changing-gear-ratios-look-here-first.html
Old 08-27-2008, 12:33 AM
12 Second Club

really doesnt help me, im curious on if i can go bigger then 4:11 if im racing quater mile w/o issues around the 1000 ft
Old 08-27-2008, 05:23 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Next level
I have a 10 bolt right now im in the market of picking up a 12 bolt. I already have a th400 with a 4000 kone converter and i am not using a trans brake.
I have a couple question if anyone can answer them please do, thanks

1. which gear should i get 4:11 or higher.... this car will have street time but not everyday.

4:11 gears are a great all around gear ratio, you could also go with 4:30 gears if you don't take a lot of highway trips.

Either brand will do a good job for you. I am partial to the Moser rears, great quality and they ship in two days.

Yes they are.

It is less money to go through a vendor than the manufacturer.

A spool has less rotating mass, is lighter and you never have to worry about the one wheel peel. A spool also cost less, however both tires always turn the same revolutions in corners. My driving is all rural for the most part, and when I drive a car with a spool I seldom realize that it is there. The only time I notice it is when I turn sharp in intersections, as the tires will make a scrubbing sound.

Heck yes, but read this!
Put a 12 bolt into a early Chevelle, Nova, Camaro, etc and you can beat the crap out of it, and not hurt anything. Put one into one of our cars with a torque arm, make a couple 4000 to 5000 dragstrip launches, and I can just about guarantee you'll pick up gear noise. If it is a drag only car, you'll never know or care about the gear noise. Drive your car home from the track, and the noise will drive you nuts. I feel the torque arm stresses the 12 bolt housing, causing distortion. We have never seen this happen with the 9 inch housing.

Exotic Performance Plus strongly recommends the Moser nine inch. This rear is even tougher than the Moser 12 bolt, and the horsepower of the late model F Body cars keeps escalating every year, which requires a very strong rear. With the recent introduction of the 6.2L GM aluminum block and the excellent flowing 6.2 litre heads, the horsepower of these cars is going to just keep climbing at a very fast pace.The nine inch will handle the power, plus we prefer the way the torque arm is bolted to the nine inch in the same way the oem rear-end is attached. (This is the only good thing about the stock 10 bolt...) The Moser 12 bolt uses four short bolts to attach the torque arm, and they have a habit of loosening up, even when loc-tite is used. Why the nine inch is stronger than the 12 bolt. The 9-inch has an internal rear-pinion support that also supports the gear end of the pinion to limit gear deflection under high torque loads. This seems to be the major reason why the 9 inch doesn't start whining after high rpm clutch dumps, when the 12 bolt will pick up noise.The 9-inch locates its pinion gear lower on the ring gear to improve tooth contact, than the 12 bolt does.The 9-inch has a 0.125-inch larger ring-gear diameter and internal pinion support than the 12 bolt does. This is not much of a difference, but it is worth noting.

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145 Bob
Old 08-27-2008, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

Thank you very much!!!
Answered all of my question perfect.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:30 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Next level
Thank you very much!!!