Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear Ratio change's effect on the car.. answers/opinions needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 02:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Ratio change's effect on the car.. answers/opinions needed.

I just got done reading the sticky at the top of this section, and after reading every page I still have a few questions that I would like to get everyone's opinion on.

For starters, I currently am running a set of 4.10s in a 10-bolt.

I have the automatic with a Performabuilt 3500 stall, not sure of the STR (I think performabuilt only had the 1.7 when it was purchased).

The car is cammed, and usually shift around 6300 with a 6500 redline.

I am about to redo the rear end, its on its way out, lots of noise and it has alot of slop in the gears. I am picking up a new 10-bolt with 3.42s next week and will probably just swap it in for the time being to keep from getting stranded the day it finally decides to go.

Reading the sticky, i saw a few comments about a stalled automatic not really responding to a gear ratio change the same way a stock stalled car would. Could someone please elaborate on that?

My goal is to get this car into the 13.5-13.7 range.

Looking at new gears, i am considering the 3.73s, 4.10s, or even 4.30s(Isuzu rodeo's run these, and found a few new sets online). Right now i am trapping at 97, which is enough MPH to get a solid 13 second pass. But I think that with the power band being pushed up due to the cam, i am losing enough off the line torque that i need a bit more gear to help accelerate out of the hole. Even with the cam, stall and gears, I cant get the car to pull better than a high 1.8 60'. there are a few non-stalled v6 guys cutting 1.6-1.7s

Would I be better off going with the taller 4.30 gear, hoping to get a better 60' and sacrafice a few MPH, or go with the 3.73 to try and pick up the time at the top end of the track? Or just stick with the 4.10s and try to adjust the "driver mod"?

My car feels real strong down low, I have ran a few people on the street and have won by a car or so from a dig, but if running from a roll they seem to always have me by half-car or full car length.

I am not too concerned with highway cruise RPMs, I rarely drive on the highway, and the 4.10s already put me around 2500 in OD, the gear calculator showed that it would only go up to 2700, so not a huge deal...
I also don't have any plans to put a big shot on the car, so topping out 3rd gear at the track shouldn't be an issue...

I appreciate any input you guys would have on this subject. I know how rear ends work, but the technical aspects of changing the ratio is a bit cloudy.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

I don't know about the 6'ers but most guys on here run 3.73s in there stalled autos? Maybe someone will chime in with more info.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Teching In

yea i know it may be hard to answer for the v6... but i think the concept is the same...?