Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange 12bolt axle seal leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange 12bolt axle seal leak?

Pretty sure the drivers side axle seal is leaking, the rear cant have much over 5,000 miles on it.. Does anyone know the part number or how i could get ahold of some seals for this thing? I looked through the online catalog and didn't find anything.

Thanks Doug
Old 09-03-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

im not too sure if it matters what axles you have but i have the 33 spline axles on mine and i ordered the wheel bearing from napa part no. 51098 federal mogul.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

i used to have a list of part numbers for seals and stuff on the 12 bolt but cant seem to find it. call moser and speak with someone there, if they're difficult or say they cant help you ask to speak to someone else...they have a list of part numbers for local stores. i always went to napa for my bearings and axle seals.

also if you dont already have one pick up a seal driver kit and just use a screwdriver to pry the old seal out. just be careful not to scratch the acrea in the tube where the seal goes or it will leak.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:16 AM
wrencher

That should have a C-clip eliminator on it. In that case you have remove the axle bearing & collar & install the new seal. Then press a new bearing/collar on.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cant just get normal 12 bolt parts for the outter ends. I made that mistake. Depending what options you have with your axle, you will have a different bearing/seal set up.

On my axle, I have ball bearing axle bearings, that have an o-ring built into them, then an inner seal that the bearing retaining collar seals into.

Some of the axles got roller bearings, and I believe the seals changed.

NOW...my axle is alittle older. I believe they revised their c-clip eliminators since then. Their catalog is sort of useless. I cant really find much in it either.

National seal #41013S

Anyway...Here are some pics from when I replaced my seal that was leaking like crazy. The seal just inside the housing was National seal #41013S. Had a tough time finding one. NAPA was the only place that could get it without having to "order" it. They are expensive...$16 a piece I believe.

You can see the seal I replaced just inside the housing end.

This might not help you at all. Figured Ide post em up anyways. When I called strange about new axle bearings, they basically told me that I had to send them the axles for them to "rebuild". I didnt feel like arguing with them, so I settled for getting the other parts I needed. So Ide give them a call, and atleast see if they'll confirm what bearings/seals you have in your ends.

J.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Thanks a lot guys. Dont look like it is gonna be an easy of a fix as it thought it was gonna be.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Teching In

I'm looking for the part number for this seal. I need to get 2 of them ASAP. I have a 12-bolt strange Engineering rear with 373's and c-clip eliminators as well. I can't find this seal at any parts store because I don't know what they model their 12-bolts after. I've had numerous parts stores check to come up with nothing. I could go through strange, and I might have to, but they are closed and they told me that these seals are pretty common and easy to find. They just didn't give me this part number as it wasn't the one I was asking for at the time. Anyone got anything??
Also, I have roller bearings not ball bearings like you have.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:02 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

there are a couple different seals depending on what axle size you have as well as bearing type. your best bet is to just call Strange and give them the description and axle shaft diameter to make sure you get the correct one. most seals have a part number on the metal part that you can have a knowledgeable parts person find. most of the seals Strange uses are available over the counter.

Quick Reply: Strange 12bolt axle seal leak?