Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

** 12 Bolt Whine? **

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ** 12 Bolt Whine? **

Just installed a slightly used 12 bolt, (100 miles) and the rear sounds like a Ford Lightening with a big blower. Not much whine at all on decel or heavy throttle. However I have loud whine on light throttle. I am not concerned about the noise, (not my DD) I just want to make sure this isn't screwing something up.

All I know is the rear was used for about 100 miles on a heads and cam car and removed because the guy sold his car and bought a Cobra. It has a Eaton posi w/3.73s and 80-90 lucas oil and GM additive. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds about right (no pun)
Old 09-07-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

The whine is OK, just want to make sure it is not hurting anything.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

I have seen alot of these do this very thing. I guess you can live with it if your not having a DD, but it would drive me nuts!
Old 09-07-2008, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine has MINIMAL whine but i also run a loudmouth and LTs...hehehe
Old 09-07-2008, 10:39 AM
10 Second Club

ya mine whines loud enough to hear over my Loud *** exhaust
Old 09-07-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds like it is normal, yeah if it was my DD I would be Just have to put up with it to and from the track and some weekend cruising. I knew the 12 bolt was loud, just did not realize it was this loud. Thanks guys.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

strange or moser 12 bolts?? I have a strange with 4.30s and it is loud but I beat the **** out of it with at least 25 track pases, long burnouts and 6k clutch dumps! It is annoying but as long as it doesn't break I don't care!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

It is a Moser. I don't mind the whine, as long as I know it is not hurting anything. Would different weight oil change anything?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

what weight gear oil are you running?? Try Lucas 85-140w its thick as hell and should help whine
Old 09-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive had a 12 bolt, Moser, 2 diff gear sets.

3.42's set by Moser- LOUD as ****, 10k on them and never an issue Loud on decel and coasting, not as much on accelleration,

4.10's swapped in by a local sponsored shop, whine on Accelleration, but really nothing on Decel or coast.

If its NOT making noise, then it stands a chance of breaking.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

So if you want a Quiet 12 bolt then you are basically out of luck ???

I thought properly installed it would be dead quiet.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:00 AM
11 Second Club

A LOT of people say that the 12 bolt is not good with the torque arm setup out F-cars have.

I'm not sure if it's true or not...but the 9" is BARELY more expensive than a 12 bolt...and the fabricated 9" rears are about the same if you factor in the fact that they come with torque arms/crossmembers...

Originally Posted by SS DNA

And this is straight from EPP's website...

Put a 12 bolt into a early Chevelle, Nova, Camaro, etc and you can beat the crap out of it, and not hurt anything. Put one into one of our cars with a torque arm, make a couple 4000 to 5000 dragstrip launches, and I can just about guarantee you'll pick up gear noise. If it is a drag only car, you'll never know or care about the gear noise. Drive your car home from the track, and the noise will drive you nuts. I feel the torque arm stresses the 12 bolt housing, causing distortion. We have never seen this happen with the 9 inch housing.

Exotic Performance Plus strongly recommends the Moser nine inch. This rear is even tougher than the Moser 12 bolt, and the horsepower of the late model F Body cars keeps escalating every year, which requires a very strong rear. With the recent introduction of the 6.2L GM aluminum block and the excellent flowing 6.2 litre heads, the horsepower of these cars is going to just keep climbing at a very fast pace.The nine inch will handle the power, plus we prefer the way the torque arm is bolted to the nine inch in the same way the oem rear-end is attached. (This is the only good thing about the stock 10 bolt...) The Moser 12 bolt uses four short bolts to attach the torque arm, and they have a habit of loosening up, even when loc-tite is used. Why the nine inch is stronger than the 12 bolt. The 9-inch has an internal rear-pinion support that also supports the gear end of the pinion to limit gear deflection under high torque loads. This seems to be the major reason why the 9 inch doesn't start whining after high rpm clutch dumps, when the 12 bolt will pick up noise.The 9-inch locates its pinion gear lower on the ring gear to improve tooth contact, than the 12 bolt does.The 9-inch has a 0.125-inch larger ring-gear diameter and internal pinion support than the 12 bolt does. This is not much of a difference, but it is worth noting.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:52 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jetlag
A LOT of people say that the 12 bolt is not good with the torque arm setup out F-cars have.

I'm not sure if it's true or not...but the 9" is BARELY more expensive than a 12 bolt...and the fabricated 9" rears are about the same if you factor in the fact that they come with torque arms/crossmembers...

And this is straight from EPP's website...

Put a 12 bolt into a early Chevelle, Nova, Camaro, etc and you can beat the crap out of it, and not hurt anything. Put one into one of our cars with a torque arm, make a couple 4000 to 5000 dragstrip launches, and I can just about guarantee you'll pick up gear noise. If it is a drag only car, you'll never know or care about the gear noise. Drive your car home from the track, and the noise will drive you nuts. I feel the torque arm stresses the 12 bolt housing, causing distortion. We have never seen this happen with the 9 inch housing.

Exotic Performance Plus strongly recommends the Moser nine inch. This rear is even tougher than the Moser 12 bolt, and the horsepower of the late model F Body cars keeps escalating every year, which requires a very strong rear. With the recent introduction of the 6.2L GM aluminum block and the excellent flowing 6.2 litre heads, the horsepower of these cars is going to just keep climbing at a very fast pace.The nine inch will handle the power, plus we prefer the way the torque arm is bolted to the nine inch in the same way the oem rear-end is attached. (This is the only good thing about the stock 10 bolt...) The Moser 12 bolt uses four short bolts to attach the torque arm, and they have a habit of loosening up, even when loc-tite is used. Why the nine inch is stronger than the 12 bolt. The 9-inch has an internal rear-pinion support that also supports the gear end of the pinion to limit gear deflection under high torque loads. This seems to be the major reason why the 9 inch doesn't start whining after high rpm clutch dumps, when the 12 bolt will pick up noise.The 9-inch locates its pinion gear lower on the ring gear to improve tooth contact, than the 12 bolt does.The 9-inch has a 0.125-inch larger ring-gear diameter and internal pinion support than the 12 bolt does. This is not much of a difference, but it is worth noting.

Yes indeed, the Moser 9 inch starts out at just $50.00 more than the Moser 12 bolt. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145 Bob
Old 09-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by SS DNA

If properly installed, they will be dead quiet...I know this for a FACT, since I've driven a perfectly quiet 12-bolt...just not mine I think what most complain of is due to it being an aftermarket part, and the tolerances of both companies (Moser and Strange) sucking ***. The gear set in mine is all fucked up, and I'd bet a large amount of money that they have too much pinion/carrier preload.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SuperSport4life
what weight gear oil are you running?? Try Lucas 85-140w its thick as hell and should help whine
Lucas 80-90. So the 85-140 might quieten it up a bit. Will the thicker oil offer the same or better lube? Thanks guys, and keep it coming.

Also, I realize I have a M6 and every body says M6 = 9 inch but I got a monster deal on a slightly used 12 bolt w/3.5 driveshaft. Could not pass it up.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:24 PM
10 Second Club

When i had my first moser 12b set up with a spool and 4.30's it was dead quiet until a couple or trips to the track, slicks and some 4k dumps and it got pretty loud. So yes i would have to agree it has somthing to do with the torque arm set up
Old 09-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Everyone is quick to blame the torque arm mount, yet that is nothing more than pure conjecture, and most of it comes from someone that sells a LOT of Moser rear axles for these cars. There is a lot of circumstantial evidence that supports it, but I'm not 100% convinced that it is the problem in this case, and I'm going to do my best to prove it wrong after I set the gears in my Strange 12-bolt myself.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black 99 Bird
Lucas 80-90. So the 85-140 might quieten it up a bit. Will the thicker oil offer the same or better lube? Thanks guys, and keep it coming.

Also, I realize I have a M6 and every body says M6 = 9 inch but I got a monster deal on a slightly used 12 bolt w/3.5 driveshaft. Could not pass it up.
Im not sure if it will provide a better lubrication for the rear as I am not an expert in that field but I will say that thick lubricants quiet noisey mechanical parts down. I guess it is so thick it just fills the gaps. Im sure somebody with more knowledge will step in an explain why but try the 85-140w it can't hurt. That is what strange shipped me when I brought my 12 bolt and I have changed it once at 500 miles and it has been fine ever since just the damn noise.

Quick Reply: ** 12 Bolt Whine? **