Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser Axle Shafts/Bearings

Old 09-12-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser Axle Shafts/Bearings

Stock 10 bolt in an 02 Trans Am.

Rear end makes the typical wah wah wah sound that increases in pulse as the car accelerates.

Just had it diagnosed at a performance shop that determined the bearings (and axle as a result of the bearings) should be replaced.

I just wanted to make sure I plunk down the cash on the right products before I go crazy broke.

Axle Shaft:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...907958+400256+

Bearings:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...w=1&N=700+150+

Now they didn't open up the differential but as a best guess made the determination based on prior knowledge during a test drive.

Should I drop the money on an entire bearing kit just in case? I'd hate to spend an extra 100$ when I can just get the minimum bearings for 30$.

On the other hand, I figure it may be good to replace all that stuff in there while it's under the knife since it's not '100%' guaranteed that the bearings in question are the cause, but it's VERY likely. It's just a matter of funding all this that is the problem.

Just looking for some opinions and making sure I have the right parts linked above from people more knowledgeable than myself ;)
Old 09-12-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem a few years ago. The womp womp womp noise that sounded like a flat spot in the tire. It was just as you said, the axle shafts were pitting against the axle bearings. I tried the cheap method first and used teh axle saver bearings. This lasted all of about 1500 miles before the pitting came back. I finally replaced with those moser axles and bearings, and 25K later the 10 bolt is still doing fine. Ive beat these axles pretty good, and theyve held up just fine. I think youll be happy with the upgrade. Might consider gears while youre in there...
Old 09-12-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Right on, thanks GB.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Teching In

I bought one axle, a set of axle bearings and a rear end gasket from Jaws Gear.

I just opened up my pumpkin and everything looked good to me. I did pop out the differential to check the carrier bearings and races and everything looked fine.. I cleaned everything out with break cleaner put it back together and now it rides as smooth as a Caddy!

I can't remember the reason I didn't go with summit for the axles. Maybe the ship date was a week out or something like that..

Does your car have TCS? Make sure you order the right axle if you do. They are different.

Tom
Old 09-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Teching In

i would be careful with those bearings.i just put them in last friday.and the right side went yesterday.it had apparently been goin.it put tons of metal paticles in my rear and destroyed my gears.now it wines like crazy.and destroyed my axle.moser isnt making the bearings.it says made in china on the outter race.or at least mine were.i just replaced both bearings and seals today with name brand stuff.the left side completly shattered when i tried to take it out.and its not like i put them in wrong.they went in fine and i have replaced tons on axle bearings with no problems.im gonna call moser on monday.but you could buy them,put them in and have no problems.maybe i was just unlucky.just my 2 cents

Search this Thread