Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Trying to blow up my 10 bolt. (Yeah, trying..)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trying to blow up my 10 bolt. (Yeah, trying..)

Ok, so apparently, if it get's blown before I save the money up, I can get money from my parents/family for a 9" (I still cover half and have to pay them back eventually, so don't think I'm taking the easy way out). As soon as that was understood, I power shifted, drifted, did whatever I could in a deserted parking lot at 4 in the morning to blown the bastard up. (And yes, I did check around, no one was there, it was a completely empty parking lot, not pot holes, no lights, completely safe.)

I must be doing something right because it still won't break. Rattles, jingles and clanks really loud, though.

Any ideas? Maybe if I actually service it, it will break.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ummmm yeah

clutch dumps

lots of them

get on the highway..... get to about 50.... rev it to 6k and dump it into 2nd
Old 09-16-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

Two words: Drag Radials
Old 09-16-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by danhr
ummmm yeah

clutch dumps

lots of them

get on the highway..... get to about 50.... rev it to 6k and dump it into 2nd
I don't want to die trying to break it.

And I dumped it at 5k from neutral to first. That was pretty cool. It was actually an accident, though.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Drag Radials Big Burnout 5k Launch
Old 09-16-2008, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vicinity
Ok, so apparently, if it get's blown before I save the money up, I can get money from my parents/family for a 9" (I still cover half and have to pay them back eventually, so don't think I'm taking the easy way out). As soon as that was understood, I power shifted, drifted, did whatever I could in a deserted parking lot at 4 in the morning to blown the bastard up. (And yes, I did check around, no one was there, it was a completely empty parking lot, not pot holes, no lights, completely safe.)

I must be doing something right because it still won't break. Rattles, jingles and clanks really loud, though.

Any ideas? Maybe if I actually service it, it will break.
Wow...........

Do your parents know you're trying to break the rear? Because if I was your parent and knew you were trying to break it, you'd be SOL until you could afford a rear yourself.
Judging by the clanking sound you're now observing, it's too late for my suggestion. You could've probably gotten a couple hundred bucks for your rear and put that toward a new 9"/12 bolt/S60/whatever. Plus, how do you know for sure in all your attempts to break the rear that you're not damaging anything in the rest of your powertrain? It's one thing to break something at the race track, but trying to break something just to have an excuse to get a new part? I guess that's something I'll never understand.
Yeah, I know. I'm no fun. It's your money (or should I say your parent's money).
Edit: I read about a guy accidently popping the clutch in reverse and that did in his 10 bolt. Maybe you should try that.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Old 09-16-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by supernaturalta
Wow...........

Do your parents know you're trying to break the rear? Because if I was your parent and knew you were trying to break it, you'd be SOL until you could afford a rear yourself.
Judging by the clanking sound you're now observing, it's too late for my suggestion. You could've probably gotten a couple hundred bucks for your rear and put that toward a new 9"/12 bolt/S60/whatever. Plus, how do you know for sure in all your attempts to break the rear that you're not damaging anything in the rest of your powertrain? It's one thing to break something at the race track, but trying to break something just to have an excuse to get a new part? I guess that's something I'll never understand.
Yeah, I know. I'm no fun. It's your money (or should I say your parent's money).
Edit: I read about a guy accidently popping the clutch in reverse and that did in his 10 bolt. Maybe you should try that.
I suppose you missed the part where I said I WILL eventually pay for it. Mechanic said it was very close to breaking, so I figured I'd try and send it off sooner.

Never thought about the drivetrain thing, maybe I shouldn't do that again.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Borrow someone's slicks and launch it a few times from 5k, as stated previously.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Slicks will DESTROY it. If you are shitty street tires itll take a while to break it.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Banned

Why dont you just sell it for dirt cheap rather then beat your car up in the process???
Old 09-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Teching In

circle burnouts did mine in

Old 09-16-2008, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Why dont you just sell it for dirt cheap rather then beat your car up in the process???
True... I'm selling my rearend to a friend of mine cause it has low miles and 3.73 gears...I'd rather make a little money off of it instead of breaking it...

But, now that we all know dude is trying to tear up his car, I'm willing to bet no one off of this site will want it now
Old 09-16-2008, 05:15 PM
10 Second Club

maybe get more power

3rd gear clutch dumps on the highway broke mine
then call up EPP for that 9in
Old 09-16-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

def drag radials and a nice burnout then 4-5k dump broke mine right on the line
Old 09-16-2008, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

i vote drain the fluid.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1>girlfriend
i vote drain the fluid.
That is probably not a good idea...having both back wheels lock up completely while going down the road at speed tends to cause accidents
Old 09-16-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

just out of curiousity...what was your plan if you did succeed in blowing your rear?

hopefully you had a friend waiting to pick you up, because if my mom or dad had to come pick me up at 4 in the morning from some empty parking lot because i had a blown rear and was surrounded by tire marks i sure as hell wouldn't be getting any money towards parts.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vicinity
I suppose you missed the part where I said I WILL eventually pay for it.
Nope, I didn't miss anything. I will say this again though because I think you missed something I said......
Do your parents know you're intentionally trying to break the rear in your car? Because if I was your parent and you wanted me to lend you money to replace a part that you were intentionally trying to break, then there's no way in hell I'd lend you the money to buy the new part - even if I knew you could pay me back. Maybe if you had to pay for ALL broken parts on the car upfront, or had to let the car sit until you could afford the parts, you wouldn't be going out intentionally trying to break $h!t.
That's just me; I'm sure your parents are different though.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ What the heck do you care its not like his ten bolt was going to last forever and he plans to spend the money anyways and it his car.

Sounds like you are jealous of his particular situation.

Quick Reply: Trying to blow up my 10 bolt. (Yeah, trying..)