Gen 5 Camaro Drivetrain Tech Clutch, torque converter, rear end, axles

Is anyone rebuilding 5th gen TR6060's

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is anyone rebuilding 5th gen TR6060's

As the title says, is anyone building Hardened TR6060 transmissions? Or is anyone making parts. I'm losing faith in GM fixing my busted output shaft & I need to either send it to someone to be rebuilt, or just get a new output shaft. GM is out of output shafts, my dealer can't even get me one.

The area rep is coming next week to look at my car & I'm going to print out all of the data I can find about GM stopping production of these cars for a while due to the M6's breaking tail shafts & I'll print out the TSB on it showing that non modded cars are breaking them. I'll also print out all the laws showing that they have to prove that my car being modded broke the output shaft. Since early build stock cars are busting them & my early build modded car busted one, I might have a 1or2% chance to get it fixed.

But I need a hardened one anyway, as I'll probably end up busting a new one too.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Check out D&D .

http://www.ddperformance.com/
Old 05-01-2010, 04:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Liberty Gears in Taylor Michgan has done some performance enhancements for some of the road racing cars. I have a 6060 that they modified.

It still has the OEM main shaft. The number of transmissions that failed main shafts was minor. I heard that a change was made after those problems. Funny how people were snapping CV Shafts at Camaro5 fest but I didn't hears of a single main shaft.

Did you actually break a main shaft??

Robin
Old 05-01-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I broke mine last year, dealer picked my car up on their wrecker and delivered it back to me with the updated 6060. No questions asked, still had the skinnies and bigs on it when it broke.

They know they have a problem with the early models, mine was returned to me the next day.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

I have an in with the dealer, but GM wants to send the regional rep to check mine out & it's loud as he'll, no skinnies on it but a bald set of nitto's. I do have an early car, so I fall under the TSB. It's up to them to prove that my mods broke the trans, that may be hard to prove since stock cars are busting the same shaft, I'll know next week if they will warranty it. GM doesn't even have any shafts in stock to order.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jamnut
I have an in with the dealer, but GM wants to send the regional rep to check mine out & it's loud as he'll, no skinnies on it but a bald set of nitto's. I do have an early car, so I fall under the TSB. It's up to them to prove that my mods broke the trans, that may be hard to prove since stock cars are busting the same shaft, I'll know next week if they will warranty it. GM doesn't even have any shafts in stock to order.
I would think they would swap the whole trans rather than have the dealership tear into it, so hopefully they do that for you.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:30 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rayhawk
I would think they would swap the whole trans rather than have the dealership tear into it, so hopefully they do that for you.
You would think, but...

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...aid-plans.html

more info:
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...-is-wrong.html
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...g-daisies.html
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...m-surgery.html
Old 05-04-2010, 06:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Haha, those comments on the Edmunds blogs are funny as hell. First it appears that the car in the links above broke a syncro ring.
The driver was able to drive the car to the dealership.

When I talked to people about the shaft breaking I was told that GM was shipping complete units to the dealers for installation. Then the effected transmission was sent back to GM for inspection. That is why they didn't want the tech's to tear them apart. Also as the OP has stated they didn't have individual parts in the system. I guess they feel that most of the cars are under warranty.

Those blogs and pictures are just drama from what I can see. Most people on the boards have had their probelems fixed very quickly.

I do feel as though they should have parts available in the system. If I break my trans because I beat the crap out of it I don't expect them to fix it under warranty, but I would like to be able to buy the parts to fix it myself.

Robin
Old 05-05-2010, 05:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

OK I did some checking. It seems that you should be able to buy any of the parts needed from Rockland or D&D or Liberty. There are some parts developed for the Camaro that you will need to source through GM. Things like the tail shaft housing or bell housing are unique and developed for a certain model. GM would have paid for that development so they would be sold through them.

If it's just a shaft give Liberty a call, some of those guys have actually made shafts from different materials for some applications.

Ask for Brad if you call Liberty.

Good luck!

Robin
Old 05-05-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks Robin, hopefully GM will fix the car because even though I have blown my warranty, the parts I'm having trouble with are all on TSB's. I'm not one to try to burn the company, but if stock cars are busting the same parts, it's up to GM to prove that my driving style broke a part that GM has a TSB out on & that stock cars are broken. It would be much easier if my car didn't have the non upgraded 6060. If I had the upgraded trans they would have the parts I need.

I have no case damage, don't know what it looks like on the inside, but the trans free spins with no noise, so I'm hoping that it's just the tailshaft. GM still has the car. They should be happy to fix the quickest 5th gen at my track & that they have probably sold about 20 extra 5th gens because people have either seen mine on the track, or on the street.

Hendrix Engineering is working on a hardened shaft, I'm just waiting on him to get back with me on the shaft.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates?
Old 08-21-2010, 09:15 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We built one for FLP/Nikki that broke the output shaft. Seems like this shaft is a definite issue after reading this thread. Subscribing! Vince
Old 10-17-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

cryro the new one first!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pro94lt
Any updates?
Yup, the updates are GM gave me a Trans at cost & my lawyer buddy is working on something to send to GM to try to get reimbursed.

Sorry I haven't checked in a while.

It was the output shaft, kind of funny when the car is in neutral & running, and the speedo was showing like 15 mph, put it in 6th idling & it would jump up to like 45 or so. So the break is right after the reluctor ring.

Haven't called for a hardened shaft yet, but will tomorrow, haven't had much time to even check the forums much less order parts.

I definatly want to get the other trans back together with a new shaft before I start hitting it too hard again off the line. Even with the updated trans.

I can't complain, I've been busting warranties for years, guess this is payback for bending the shiftforks & eating up the synchro's on my Formula back in 02 with only 6k on the clock & lying to the dealership & they fixed it. When I brought that car in back then they asked me if I had been racing it, I told them NO, the really drilled me hard about it, and I kept denying it, I thought I had the car all cleaned out, when I went to pick it up, they had my window chalk sitting on the passenger seat. Guess I missed something, but they still fixed it.

Gotta be prepared to pay the price if you want to play the game. I've known that for the last 26 years of racing. $2500 for a trans & $1200 for a clutch is better than putting it into the wall & losing the whole car because regular insurance won't cover crashes at race tracks, but I will be putting track insurance on my stuff from now on.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

where are you getting track insurance?
Old 02-04-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jamnut
As the title says, is anyone building Hardened TR6060 transmissions? Or is anyone making parts. I'm losing faith in GM fixing my busted output shaft & I need to either send it to someone to be rebuilt, or just get a new output shaft. GM is out of output shafts, my dealer can't even get me one.

The area rep is coming next week to look at my car & I'm going to print out all of the data I can find about GM stopping production of these cars for a while due to the M6's breaking tail shafts & I'll print out the TSB on it showing that non modded cars are breaking them. I'll also print out all the laws showing that they have to prove that my car being modded broke the output shaft. Since early build stock cars are busting them & my early build modded car busted one, I might have a 1or2% chance to get it fixed.

But I need a hardened one anyway, as I'll probably end up busting a new one too.
my buddy is on his 3rd throw out bearing... not sure how i feel about the tr6060... but if a zr1 has them... lol
Old 08-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

I want to swap my drivetrain in my truck, and I was thinking the 6.2 and 6 sp manual out a 2010+ camaro complete would be a sweet set up, but if you guys are blowing the hell out out them in your cars, do you think I would be better off with a t56 starting point? Keep in mind I plan on getting some power in front of it eventually and I'm movin 6000lbs...
Old 08-15-2011, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by demang
where are you getting track insurance?

Quick Reply: Is anyone rebuilding 5th gen TR6060's