Gen 5 Camaro Drivetrain Tech Clutch, torque converter, rear end, axles

Cryo Treating

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cryo Treating

I had to pull the TR6060 in my Camaro again because I did not like how it was shifting. I now think it has to do with the Mantic clutch, but that is another story.

While it was out, I decided to bite the bullet on upgrading it so I got the parts to duplicate what some of the shops advertise. GForce 9310 mainshaft and tailhousing bearing, carbon blocker rings and bronze fork pads. The shop doing the work agreed to let me send the internals off to 300Below to have them cryo treated. Since they only needed to disassemble the mainshaft, I sent the gears, input shaft and counter shaft with gears to 300Below and they are on their way back now. Total was about $200 including shipping both ways.

I was even thinking that those who don't want to drop $900 for the 9310 mainshaft can get the tailhousing bearing from Rockland and cryo treat the stock mainshaft (especially those who have later models than the 2010) to have a pretty stout racing M6. Takes about two weeks door to door, but if your in there replacing the stock sintered metal blocker rings and have the time, it's a low cost upgrade that is apparently used in tons of industrial applications. I saw some place that treated entire fully assembled engines and transmissions, but I did not want to ship the entire unit.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:39 PM
Teching In

300Below does good work. They cryo-treated a set of brake rotors for me several years ago.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

I was impressed with the fact I did not have to chase anybody around to make sure my stuff got done. They knew the day it arrived, let me know the cost, and two days later it was shipped. I could have had it faster if I paid more for shipping, but I'm not in a hurry with other upgrades going on. If you live around Decatur, IL it would really be a no-brainer.

Quick Reply: Cryo Treating