Gen 5 Camaro Drivetrain Tech Clutch, torque converter, rear end, axles

Dss is working on new 1000Hp axles for the 2010-2012 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dss is working on new 1000Hp axles for the 2010-2012 Camaro

OK, We have done all the calculations and per-testing in machines and now its time to to send the new X4 design axles out and show how
they work. The axles took a bit longer to make but We wanted to make sure the outcome was worth the wait. We had realized that allot of
people were buying the 1400Hp axles that are unbelievable in strength but not exactly designed for a daily driven car. sort of like a Drag
Slick great on the track and does what its supposed to but you would not go get groceries with them on a daily basis. Enough about that
This new design axle is being made with the new 300 material we are getting out of Sweden, it has by far been the strongest material we
have worked with to date and even though these axles are using the smaller 28 spline they were designed for better strength in mind. What
was done 1st was we had the material Ground to the exact size we wanted and rolled the spline onto it (Rolled splines are 35% stronger
than traditional cut style splines)

We then wanted to be able to go back to the Anti-Wheel hop design but know that one thicker bar would break and we wanted to take the
time to figure out how to get an axle with more torsional resistance than a straight bar but not to the point that it caused an issue with it.
After much work and testing we came up with this new design. (see picture below)

The bar with the thicker center will not twist as much as a straight bar but with the ends machined this far back it allows the stress to be spread
over a larger area and saved the bar from being broke. The next thing we did was install a set of ends on a car that was lowered, we did this to
be able to see where not only a Stock height axle needs to ride but also one in a lowered car. One of the reasons these cars have axle issues is
the fact that the axle at stock ride height leaves the wheel and heads up to the wheel and an angle, so when a car is lowered the angle become
greater and makes the CV work allot harder. We use this 108mmm CV on quite a few platforms, there in numerous fast Vette's GTO's, SRT8's Supras
and quite a few other cars that we make axles for but don't have the issues of the angle the Camaro has.

We even use the Same ones in all the Pro-Drift Car Axles we make for most of the Pro teams but this Camaro has posed a challenge to the joint being
its on such an angle. Our solution was to make an inner Race that not only can handle the stress but also be hearty enough for the angle.

We went over to our good friend Randy Halls Shop on Jake Alexander, Randy and Brian run a 5 second 67 Camaro (1/8th) and they take our display
to all the local events so they were glad to help when asked. We put Brains car up on the drive on lift to get some dimensions, we already had the
Stock length but wanted to see how the lowered car effected the length. take a look, we used mock up axles during the fitting to ensure correct fitment
and CV alignment. This set will differ from the 1400hp axle in that the outer will go back to a bolt on style but revisions have been made to move the head
of the CV back to the wheel side for better clearance of the bolts and the Boot, We first mocked this up on our cradle that we have for measuring and then
double checked it on Brian's car to ensure there would be not issues.

So there we have the completed product with new design outer mounting, Ends are E-coateded and the center of the axle Powder coated in our in house system
the CV will not have a stronger or harder inner race but also have the Chromoly cage adding extra strength to the system. We have re-developed the Anti-Wheel
hop design to be able to ensure the axles will help with the issue but also be higher torque friendly for cars that will punish them like they are bought for.
Test axles started to be shipped yesterday (we have been secretly testing already) take a look and if you have any questions please fell free to ask.

RA5414X4
RA5415X4
Old 03-26-2012, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

I just don't understand the concept of an axle shaft that's rated for more power than people want to tell you the rear end is rated for and then the fact that the axles won't interchange with the 9" setups, it doesn't leave any room to grow in my opinion
Old 03-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Well if i were to put on the listing lets say at 800Hp i don't think people would be comfortable with that, the 1400hp axles we make were designed for the Lingenfelter 6 speed car and there rear was strong enough to break the smaller splines, we all know that the stock diff will not go much beyond 600 to 650Hp depending on how its driven but there is a challenge to make them stronger enough so it will stay together with wheel hop or uneven launch surfaces. This design is more forgiving in a few areas that will be very advantages to people with a stock rear, and if you go beyond the power of the stock diff and want to move to the 9" or the Hammerhead 12 bolt we offer a trade in program for the old parts. Were here to help out........
Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 AM
12 Second Club

See I like that, the last comment about trade it. I think that would really help the consumer with comfort that there is in a sense room to grow. Personally I know what I have going on the stock rear is not going to live up to just an axle mod so I have to go "the whole nine yards" but I also know if there's no room to grow building a 5th gen would be out of the question for allot of folks in this economy due to the fact that it's ten fold to get a 5th gen to handle allot of power over the 4th gen. IMO
Old 03-28-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Nice work Frank. Keep the innovations coming.

Andrew
Old 04-25-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Why exactly do they cost $1200?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Hi
there actually ready now, the cost is 1199.99 there listed here

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/featur...t-in-axles-set

Old 04-25-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes I saw that after posting. The question now is do you realy have the time, materials and machine work invested in these axles to justify the $1200 price? All the upgraded axles I see listed for $1200-1500. I think that is way too much on its face. It seems to me these should be about $600 for the pair, maybe I am missing something so could you please enlighten me.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Launching!

being we have the been the ones to bring the price of axles for this car from 1849.99 a pair to 1199.99 must say something about what we do for you the consumer.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gunslinger09
Yes I saw that after posting. The question now is do you realy have the time, materials and machine work invested in these axles to justify the $1200 price? All the upgraded axles I see listed for $1200-1500. I think that is way too much on its face. It seems to me these should be about $600 for the pair, maybe I am missing something so could you please enlighten me.
If these axles could be made for $600 then someone would be making them. Alternatively, it sound like you might have a winning business proposition on your hands if you can make a set of axles for $600 and still have some profit for your efforts. Then again you forgot to mention the overhead costs and the capital investment that is required in order to obtain the machines to make these parts and the building to put them in. Or do CNC lathes fall out of the sky?

Andrew
Old 04-25-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Or it could be that there are only 2 pr 3 places making them right now so they feel like they can charge 100% mark up.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gunslinger09
Or it could be that there are only 2 pr 3 places making them right now so they feel like they can charge 100% mark up.
Like I said, if you feel that you can do it for less, then you have a business opportunity on your hands! Honestly, if I couldn't make 100% gross profit on something, I wouldn't bother.

Just remember, nobody is twisting your arm to buy axles or a camaro or engine upgrades.

Andrew
Old 04-25-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry for clogging up your thread Frank. I just get so annoyed with people who have no idea what it takes to make complex products like this, yet alone run a business making hundreds of products for dozens of cars.

Andrew
Old 04-25-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Sorry for clogging up your thread Frank. I just get so annoyed with people who have no idea what it takes to make complex products like this, yet alone run a business making hundreds of products for dozens of cars.

Andrew
You really don't know me to say I don't know anything about running a business. I don't know what his actual outlay is which is why I asked him about it. Some customers you have to sell the steak, they ain't gonna buy just the sizzle. I am that kind of customer. Since I am his potential customer not yours please let him answer and kindly butt out thank you.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

I'm watching for the 1LE axles to be available...they seem like the In between stock ss and this 1400ho dss axle upgrade.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:20 PM
Launching!

soooo, we had changed the outer CV to a solid or fixed design to help with lowered cars, not a single issue with any of them.....
Old 03-17-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

revised axle? cool!
Old 03-17-2014, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

Dss really stands behing their warranty. The trade in deal is a nice incentive.
nice job frank!
Old 03-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Launching!

yes, we changed the outer CV to a fixed CV like the stock ones have. when the cars are lowered the axle center bar can move back and forth under power. this eliminates this, even if you dont hear anything the axle moving back and forth will cause excessive wear in the part.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Driveshaft Shop
yes, we changed the outer CV to a fixed CV like the stock ones have. when the cars are lowered the axle center bar can move back and forth under power. this eliminates this, even if you dont hear anything the axle moving back and forth will cause excessive wear in the part.
Frank,

Been running your axles in my 2011 Camaro with the LPE rear diff on Pfadt lowering springs for a little over a year now and a lot of that is on the road course. In the middle of a motor change (broken valve spring) so now would be the time to have these axles checked. Is this new design a cure to an inevitable problem? Can you modify existing axles? Thanks my friend.

Travis Adams

Quick Reply: Dss is working on new 1000Hp axles for the 2010-2012 Camaro