Gen 5 Camaro Drivetrain Tech Clutch, torque converter, rear end, axles

Drive Axle Angle -Copy

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Axle Angle -Copy

Hi,

I posted this question yesterday under 'Suspension', then realized it should probably go here.

"Referring to the 2010-present Camaro rear suspension, I am looking the for dimension (up or down) from the centerline of the wheels to the centerline of the differential where the drive axle attaches, while the car is resting on level ground. Or if it is easier, the angle of the drive axles from the differential to the wheels.
Just so you know, I'm farting around with my own design using an LS engine and a Camaro rear suspension unit. The dimension I asked for is so I can properly set the location of the mounting brackets on my chassis. If anyone has access to this information I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Ben
"
Attached Thumbnails Drive Axle Angle -Copy-chassis_02.jpg   Drive Axle Angle -Copy-chassis_03.jpg   Drive Axle Angle -Copy-dscn0270.jpg  
Old 07-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Teching In

C'mon, surely there are GM engineers who pop into this forum from time to time who would know the answer to my question! I've attached a sketch to clarify what I am looking for.

Sorry guys. I don't mean to be a pest.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SKETCH_01.PDF (19.8 KB, 179 views)
Old 07-12-2012, 06:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

You're referring to the CV angle, I can take a measurement with a protractor for you next week on my car (im out of town until wednesday). The angle will obviously change with ride height, but I have a stock height car.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Per your PDF, to answer your question as to which one is correct, my answer would be neither is wrong. Unlike the conventional U-joint, CV joints can operate at much larger angles. The angle also constantly changes as the car drives and suspension articulates. As such, don't let a specific "angle" dictate your differential and hub placement instead aim to stay within the range recommended for the CVs in question.

That said, my observation of most IRS setups is that OEMs tend to mount the differential in such a way that the axle angles down towards the hub. The angle is often very small so much so the axle looks almost parallel to the ground at ride height. Such is the case with the camaro.

Here is a pic of a 5th gen camaro at ride height. You can see the axle has a small downward angle toward the hub.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:42 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input fellows! And I hope you don't mind that I used your picture to illustrate my concern. In my cad model, a couple of the linkage members (sorry, I don't know the actual names of the parts) come awfully close to the inside edge of the rim, especially in a compressed spring state. You're proabably already aware of this condition, and is the main factor for limiting the width of my rear wheels. Above the hub, there doesn't appear to be any risk of interference, so that's when I began wondering if the drive axles should be angled down more when the car is at rest.
Attached Thumbnails Drive Axle Angle -Copy-zoom1.jpg  
Old 07-15-2012, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

BMR makes a lower control arm that has much more clearance in the spot you point out. Some wheels (wide or small) will hit at that point without different control arms.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Teching In

Hey, thanks for the tip! Modified control arms sounds like a good option. Another thought I had was to go ahead and raise the location of the differential. But I'm trying to keep the C/G as low as possible because fast cornering is a high priority.

Do you happen to know what is the +/- suspension travel on the back end of the Camaro?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Default How low can you go?

Just a side view with a paper doll driver.
Attached Thumbnails Drive Axle Angle -Copy-left-side_02.jpg  
Old 07-16-2012, 05:53 PM
10 Second Club

Your best bet on shock travel is to call pedders or pfadt suspension. I know they make longer/shorter shocks and could probably make you whatever you needed or answer any travel questions you had.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Thanks again for the advice. I'll give them a call.

I'm currently in the process of building a 1:4 scale dummy body so I can look at the shape in 'real' 3D. I'll post some pictures once it starts taking shape.
Attached Thumbnails Drive Axle Angle -Copy-left-side_03.jpg  
Old 02-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Time for an overdue update.
My project seemed stalled at times, but I managed to put in a good effort the last two months to finish my quarter scale model. Opinions have been mostly positive. Next stop: the steel fabricator to discuss the chassis.
Let me know what you think. Opinions have played an important role in the way it has taken shape
Attached Thumbnails Drive Axle Angle -Copy-yellow-right_01.jpg   Drive Axle Angle -Copy-002.jpg   Drive Axle Angle -Copy-001.jpg   Drive Axle Angle -Copy-003.jpg   Drive Axle Angle -Copy-004.jpg  

Drive Axle Angle -Copy-005.jpg  
Old 02-26-2013, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

some old school aston martin taillights would look sick in that rearend
Old 02-27-2013, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Reminds me of a Lister.

Quick Reply: Drive Axle Angle -Copy