Gen 5 Camaro Drivetrain Tech Clutch, torque converter, rear end, axles

Stronger driveshaft bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stronger driveshaft bolts?

Has anybody had any luck finding a non-TTY, stronger bolt solution for the factory driveline? I spit a bolt out right after putting on some sticky tires, at the time I didnt know it was a driveline bolt and just figured a tire picked something up from the road. After a week of driving I developed a vibration and a few days later I was getting some serious driveline noise in first gear. After inspection I found a bad carrier bearing and 2 missing driveline bolts.

Some searching found this is a common problem with the bolts but could not find any info on a better bolt setup. I am not in a position to put a 1 piece driveline in as fast as I would like to get the car back on the road. I ordered a new carrier bearing and the 1 bolt the dealer said was available in a reasonable amount of time. I was hoping the legwork was already done on finding a better bolt so I can get some ordered and install the repaired shaft with new hardware.

(edit)
I found Blue Alloy grade 12.9 bolts (12mmX1.75) at Mcmaster Carr P/N 91502A252
Stover nuts (distorted top) grade 8 at Mcmaster Carr P/N 93795A250

The OE hardware is blue, like the coating advertised on the Mcmaster bolts so I am assuming they are of equal strength, not stronger but at least they are available next day (Dealer told me they were a week out at best) and much cheaper than the dealer. I found ARP hardware that looked to have slightly higher tinsel strength and 5x the price. Plan on using OE torque specs, I will update this thread if they break before going to a stronger driveline. Hope this saves someone the few hours I spent learning everything the net has to offer about bolts.

Last edited by Skoonie; 07-01-2016 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Stronger driveshaft bolts?