Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Corvette to get new small block engine - is the Camaro next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Corvette to get new small block engine - is the Camaro next?

Fairly hot off the presses...the next gen Corvette is expected to get a new 5.5L engine stemming from GMs new small block facility investment. Likely using direct injection..offering around 440hp...still with pushrods.

C7 to get new 5.5L V8...click here for more

Typically the Camaro is close to follow when the Vette gets a new engine so this could be the next step for the Camaro as well.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonder how easy it will be to modd?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

I dont know, but Im hoping that the new engine (if this proves to be true) is for 2012. That would mean that we may see something as soon as the LA Auto Show later this year if it was set to debut as a 2012, late in the 2011 calendar year. That is depending on the fact that this engine is that close to being ready without anyone talking about it before...
Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pro94lt
Wonder how easy it will be to modd?
If it's anything like the 2.0L turbo and the 3.6L in the Camaro, all
run by BOSCH systems, not very fun to tune. I'm sure with this info coming out that there are many tuning companies doing alot of research.
Especially since Ford has also made engines with direct injection.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

they did make one mistake...
can expect to see the new 5.5L V8 in the modern F-Bodies sometime after the C7 Corvette drops.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

I cant wait for the GM DI V8 to come out. Assuming they figure out the tuning software it should make so pretty sick power.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:58 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would wager that this will be placed into the 6th generation Camaro on the smaller Alpha platform. I believe we will see that Camaro sooner than later. I have no facts to support this, but it's just a feeling.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

I just hope it wont look like the Transformers Vette.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I would wager that this will be placed into the 6th generation Camaro on the smaller Alpha platform. I believe we will see that Camaro sooner than later. I have no facts to support this, but it's just a feeling.
when you piece together all of the little rumors here and there about development of the next gen camaro and then consider how competitive the mustang has suddenly gotten, i would agree that chevy will have something for the camaro soon. i know that the Z28 is constantly teased but in the battle between the Mustang and Camaro, I dont think that a high dollar GT500-fighter is going to be the answer. On the other hand, a lighter, more powerful Camaro SS would do the trick...

battousai, I understand that the new camaro isnt actually an Fbody since its on the zeta platform but i still frequently see the late model camaros including in the fbody family...perhaps i should have put it in quotes or something.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Regular

The problem GM faces is keeping the Camaro below Vette performance, while competing with Ford on the GT and Cobra. That's going to be a difficult task IMHO.

I was told the 5th gen would need a complete redo to make it lighter. Meaning different platform.

If I had a 4th gen, I'd hang on to it IMHO. It will soon be the fox body of the GM world.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ke^in
The problem GM faces is keeping the Camaro below Vette performance, while competing with Ford on the GT and Cobra. That's going to be a difficult task IMHO.

I was told the 5th gen would need a complete redo to make it lighter. Meaning different platform.

If I had a 4th gen, I'd hang on to it IMHO. It will soon be the fox body of the GM world.
I agree. They could easily insert an LS7, LS9 or LSA into the Camaro and have a car that would make short work of most of what Ford can offer but how do you price it? If you price it somewhat inline with the other Camaro models, you are grossly undercutting the Corvette or Caddy that usually carries the given engine...but if you price it as high as the Corvette or Caddy, how many people are going to buy it?

Say that they put an LSA into the Camaro...tacked on some handling goodies and called the the Z28. You essentially have a car that is very similar to the CTSV and the V costs upwards of 60 grand. I dont think that you can charge 60 grand for this imaginary Z28 unless you add more of the features of the CTSV, but thats not what the Camaro is all about...so you would think that it woudl be priced lower but if you give the Z28 556hp and say, the magnetic ride control, how badly will you be cutting into CTSV sales? Also, even if the Camaro Z28 in this case did cost 62,000, it could possibly compete with the Z06 and it costs 12,000 less...
Old 06-30-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I read on another site that the gen 5 motors will be 5.5 6.2 and 7.0 VVT pushrod DI motors.
Also if you look at the vin of 2010 Camaros, the 4th digit is still an F.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:27 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SEMA2009
i know that the Z28 is constantly teased but in the battle between the Mustang and Camaro, I dont think that a high dollar GT500-fighter is going to be the answer. On the other hand, a lighter, more powerful Camaro SS would do the trick...
I agree. While a LSA Z28 will be great, at a ~$50k price tag, it's not what is needed to compete with the bread and butter Mustang/Camaro battle.

Originally Posted by GMRL
Also if you look at the vin of 2010 Camaros, the 4th digit is still an F.
Yes, and Scott Settlemire said they did that on purpose to keep with the "f-body" name.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The 5.5L V8 will be a race-only engine. It's going into the C6.Rs this year, I believe. From what I've heard, there are only two production Gen V displacements - 5.3L and 6.2L. They both should have direct injection.

As for the 6th gen Camaro, it will be on Alpha. Cadillac is doing most of the design work on the chassis, though. It will "trickle down" after they get their first Alpha model out.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by skorpion317
The 5.5L V8 will be a race-only engine. It's going into the C6.Rs this year, I believe. From what I've heard, there are only two production Gen V displacements - 5.3L and 6.2L. They both should have direct injection.

As for the 6th gen Camaro, it will be on Alpha. Cadillac is doing most of the design work on the chassis, though. It will "trickle down" after they get their first Alpha model out.
is that some inside information there, or just some rumors youve heard?

is there a chance that they are bringing the 5.5L out early as a race-only engine for the C6R to hype it up for production in a year or two?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SEMA2009
is that some inside information there, or just some rumors youve heard?

is there a chance that they are bringing the 5.5L out early as a race-only engine for the C6R to hype it up for production in a year or two?
Call it unconfirmed information from a reliable source.

The 5.5L will be a race-only engine. IIRC, it has something to do with engine size limits in the GT2 class, which Corvette Racing has moved to this season.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by skorpion317
Call it unconfirmed information from a reliable source.

The 5.5L will be a race-only engine. IIRC, it has something to do with engine size limits in the GT2 class, which Corvette Racing has moved to this season.
Very interesting...thanks for the info. It will be interesting to see what comes out in the next few months from GM...
Old 06-30-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Yes, and Scott Settlemire said they did that on purpose to keep with the "f-body" name.
Yup, plus GM doesn't use alphanumeric chassis designations anymore. They are now Zeta, Lambda, Epsilon and so on.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he was referencing the fact that the article says "fbodies" implying there are 2 of them which isn't true anymore since there is no Firebird
Old 06-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
I think he was referencing the fact that the article says "fbodies" implying there are 2 of them which isn't true anymore since there is no Firebird
I thought that he was correcting me on the fact that they arent technically f-bodies anymore...

and there is a firebird...LPE makes it...

Quick Reply: C7 Corvette to get new small block engine - is the Camaro next?