Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mod Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mod Questions

Trying to make my mind up on what mods need to come first with my build. As far as the LS3's go, how do they respond to mods?

-Headers, what size 1 3/4 or 1 7/8?
-Exhaust, is the cat back sufficient or does it need replaced?
-Intake, is the 102mm worth getting or does it flow well enough to support 550-600 RWP?
-Heads, do they flow well from the factory is is port work a much needed thing to support a healthy cam?
-Cam selection. I've "heard" that the Camaro's arent responding well with these huge cams but prefer the conservative to medium sized ones. Whats the logic?

I'm learning all about this LS3 and the Camaro itself so give me some feedback, thanks.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
Trying to make my mind up on what mods need to come first with my build. As far as the LS3's go, how do they respond to mods?

-Headers, what size 1 3/4 or 1 7/8?
-Exhaust, is the cat back sufficient or does it need replaced?
-Intake, is the 102mm worth getting or does it flow well enough to support 550-600 RWP?
-Heads, do they flow well from the factory is is port work a much needed thing to support a healthy cam?
-Cam selection. I've "heard" that the Camaro's arent responding well with these huge cams but prefer the conservative to medium sized ones. Whats the logic?

I'm learning all about this LS3 and the Camaro itself so give me some feedback, thanks.
- The 2 inch headers are showing the best numbers across the board...even with stock cams. Even better in the future as you do more mods.

- Cat-back gains are minimal...go by what sound you like. You can save a bit of weight by going with different mufflers though. The stockers are huge.

- A ported fast and 102 TB works well with a H/C set-up. I wouldnt waste the time if you are still bolt on. The stock intake and thorttle body if ported does well with a H/C set-up but you will see another 15 hp or so with a ported fast 102/102 on a h/c set up over a ported stock intake and TB.

- Stock heads to pretty well. Just depends on how far you want to go/money you want to spend etc. A decent sized cam on stock heads will be about 470-480 rwhp. Good set of heads will add another 20-30 rwhp. I would wait on a head decision right now as their are a couple new designs on the horizon from a few different vendors.

-As far as cams. The G6x3 seems to be the top dog right now but I have heard mixed opinions on drive ability. It is worth about 20rwhp at peak over a medium sized cam but may not be the best decision for you. Depends what you want. I will probably stay in the 23x duration neighborhood when I make a choice. I would recommend comp.

I would start with headers, CAI , under drive crank pulley and a dyno tune and see what you think. I got massive gains from these mods alone and I am now just working on making the car hook at this point. Adding more power at this point would be a waste of time IMO without any extra traction.

Quick Reply: Mod Questions