Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default stock exhaust questions

I am doing an LS1 (from a 99 camaro) swap into an older BMW (85 5 series) and looking for a very quiet/factory like exhaust volume level.

Does the factory center resonator from a 2010 camaro have a cross over pipe built in?

I am thinking about using a pair of high flow cats, stock resonator from a 2010 camaro, and then another muffler at the back of the car.

How restrictive is the stock resonator?

What size piping does the stock 2010 exhaust use?

What after market mufflers are people using behind the stock resonator for a fairly quiet exhaust? I like a fairly tight exhaust sound....a bit more volume when WOT but overall something pretty controlled.

I really like the sound of the stock 2010 camaros and would like to get something similar. If you have any other suggestions that would be great

TIA
Old 01-02-2012, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakeb
I am doing an LS1 (from a 99 camaro) swap into an older BMW (85 5 series) and looking for a very quiet/factory like exhaust volume level.

Does the factory center resonator from a 2010 camaro have a cross over pipe built in?

I am thinking about using a pair of high flow cats, stock resonator from a 2010 camaro, and then another muffler at the back of the car.

How restrictive is the stock resonator?

What size piping does the stock 2010 exhaust use?

What after market mufflers are people using behind the stock resonator for a fairly quiet exhaust? I like a fairly tight exhaust sound....a bit more volume when WOT but overall something pretty controlled.

I really like the sound of the stock 2010 camaros and would like to get something similar. If you have any other suggestions that would be great

TIA

1. im not sure what you mean by "crossover built in" but im going to say no. the camaro has 2 resonators after the hpipe section in the exhaust (LS3)

2. the resonators are not very restrictive, its just a bigger piece of piping

3. they use 2.5inch. piping

4. magnaflow street (basically keeping the resonators and utilizing the magnaflow mufflers) or hushpower made by flowmaster seem to be the more popular quiet systems. if youve got money to spend the borla touring mufflers are nice and serene as well
Old 01-02-2012, 01:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

The L99 cars have a big metal resonator box in lieu of the LS3 dual resonators, which does have an X crossover built in.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the one I am looking at is just one unit. Sounds like the stock resonator and a couple magnaflows would be a pretty quiet setup.

thanks

Quick Reply: stock exhaust questions