Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for Gen5 Camaro

Old 01-07-2012, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Suggestions for Gen5 Camaro

I recently traded my Mustang (09) GT for a 2010 2SS/RS, 6.2L.
The car is all stock, a CPO car (4K original miles), Auto. I'm not looking to build a street racer, just something with a little more pep. My GT I did CAI, Flowmasters, and a SCT Tuner with Bama Tunes. I would like to do something similar with the SS. I have heard any of these changes to a Camaro will throw a Check Engine Light? I would appreciate suggestions, real world experiences anyone may have had doing these mods. I would like to keep the GM warranty in tact. The car is a "weekend" driver but has to pass Texas emission Inspection.
Thanks for your input.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:53 PM
FormerVendor

Nice, how do you like the upgrade?
There are a ton of options to go with. The most basic which would wake up the car, improve throttle response, sound better, and maintain your factory warranty would be a cold air intake, cat-back exhaust, and VMAX throttle body. These would take you from about 320rwhp (which you have now) to about 340rwhp.
If you wanted to go a little deeper, and depending on your dealer would be ok with warranty (depending on dealer and repairs) you could add some long tube headers, high flow cats and a custom tune. These mods are perfectly usable with the first mods, and will take you to about 365rwhp.
Then there's the whole suspension side of things which will greatly improve your driving experience too.

Feel free to call, email or PM us anytime and we can see what your goals are and where you want to be.

- Jeremy
Old 01-11-2012, 12:40 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm liking the Camaro more, the more I drive it. Of course the GT wasn't much more than a motor and a set of tires. The Camaro definitely has more "creature comforts".
I was thinking CAI and maybe a pair of Flowmaster's or Magnaflows for starters.
I haven't played with anything GM performance wise since prior to the days of computers. I know with my HD's and the GT, allowing the engine to breathe better usually caused LEAN issues in the cruising and high RPM ranges, so a Tuner or Tuning was required. I'm concerned with getting into the same predicament with the SS? I am exploring the possibility of acquiring a second ECM for that purpose.
I will say the GT wasn't near as hard on my wallet as this SS appears to be. I purchased the very same FORD Racing CAI & Tuner as offered through Ford from American Muscle for the cost of a CAI for the SS. My Ford dealer didn't care where it came from as long as it was the same as Ford offered, they kept the warranty intact. 3 different Chevy dealers(including selling) have told me change anything and warranty is voided.
Thanks again for your input.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:33 PM
FormerVendor

Nice, the 5th gen Camaro definitely is nice, I have a 4th and a 5th, and never drive the 4th anymore, because it doesn't compare in quality and comfort.

Very true with getting the engine to breathe better, an intake and exhaust will help that, will give you better fuel economy, more power, and better sound. The modern computers will sense the difference in airflow in and out, and will change parameters as needed, therefore a tune is not required. Even with long tube headers, you can get away without a tune, but will get a check engine light due to the catalytic converter testing differences, until you get it tuned.

Magnaflow makes some awesome exhausts that sound and perform great. We use the Magnaflow 3" Competition Series on most of the cars we do, and they sound spectacular with or without headers.

There are some really expensive cold air intakes out there, and frankly they are no better (and sometimes worse) than the good ones. We use Airaid on most of the cars we do, and absolutely love them. They are very high quality, they look great, they sound good, they aren't heat sinks, and they are relatively cheap; half the price of others that I would not let touch my Camaro.

We have some crazy priced JDP PerformerPacks available which gets you an excellent exhaust, intake, and VMAX throttle body, for a tad more than the price of an exhaust . That would be the way to go, IMO, it will get you everything to make your car feel, perform, and sound great, without too much spent, and keeping your warranty intact.

Speaking of that, those dealers you talked to are idiots. An exhaust and intake will not void your warranty. When you get into tuning, then your warranty is in jeopardy. In order to not honor a warranty for basic bolt-ons, the dealer has to prove that the modification caused the problem, which having a properly installed intake and exhaust, will not cause. But ultimately it is up to the service manager, and if they continue to say the same thing, find a new dealership. There are many good dealers out there, but there are many bad ones as well. I've had parts of my suspension warrantied before, and I promise you, my suspension is not stock...

Feel free to call, email, or PM anytime!
- Jeremy
Old 01-12-2012, 10:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Exhaust wont add any hp. The factory catback is not restrictive. Headers, cai+tune will give good gains
Old 01-22-2012, 05:41 AM
Launching!

ARH 1 7/8" headers, Halltech air intake and a Vmax throttle body. If its an Automatic trans don't bother with the Vmax throttle body, you won't like it. If you want more pep after that get the ADM scoop with the washer bottle replacement.

I have ARH headers with Borla S exhaust, CAI air intake with scoop and the Vmax and the only thing the service manager at the dealership said was "I like those headers who makes them". If you have the dealership do your oil changes and any low cost maintenance items that come up you wont have any warranty problems.

If you get a check engine light go to a dyno shop and they will adjust you sensors so I doesn't happen again. Mine has never popped up after I had a shop take care of it. I just got it Dyno tuned and I have an oil change Tuesday, I will let you know if the service manager says anything
Old 01-23-2012, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Bump for the arh headers, I love mine.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:31 PM
FormerVendor

You can always check this out. We took all of the guess work out of picking out the parts. If you don't feel like making the whole purchase you can always choose one at a time.

http://goodies-speedshop.com/i-75833...ade-450hp.html
Old 01-23-2012, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Best bet are some solo high flow cats, no CEL or warranty issues, great sound [the way the car should have sounded] no drone and probably 18/18 to the wheels. You WILL feel the increase unlike an intake system. Pulley is a nice addition and you will feel it also maybe 8/8 to the wheels.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Goodies Speed Shop
You can always check this out. We took all of the guess work out of picking out the parts. If you don't feel like making the whole purchase you can always choose one at a time.

http://goodies-speedshop.com/i-75833...ade-450hp.html
I take it the 450hp is at the crank and not rwhp?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

Yes, most definitely crank hp.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:46 AM
Launching!

There are some good header choices for less money, and they go on sale more often at a greater discount. The Goodies Speed shop guy's website says he sells Hedman headers but I couldn't find them on his site. They are a great header for the price.

XS Power makes a great header but cost a little more than the Hedman.

You don't need Stainless headers, coated mild steel headers work great if your just looking for a little pep and a better sound.

I had my oil changed and the service manager didn't say anything about the tune. He told me there was a recall on the program for the A/C system and that he would have to download it the NEXT time I come in. I took that as "flash your old tune back in before you come back". Maybe I'm wrong about his hint, but either way I know he is going to be inside my tune the next time I'm there.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:49 AM
FormerVendor

Hedman headers can be found on the Goodies Speed Shop site at http://goodies-speedshop.com/search.html?q=Hedman
Old 01-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Goodies Speed Shop
Hedman headers can be found on the Goodies Speed Shop site at http://goodies-speedshop.com/search.html?q=Hedman

I knew they were on your site some where. I've had internet problems for the last 3 days. Never get cricket.

He has Stainless 1 3/4" headman headers for a good price. Headman's been around for ever and have always made good headers at a fair price
Old 01-29-2012, 07:10 PM

I appreciate the ideas.
So far I have done the Axle-back Flowmasters. Tried leaving the Resonator on, but that sounded terrible and wasn't any noticeable change to driveability. So 24 Hrs later had the Resonator removed and man what a difference ! Sound is nice and definite improvement in driveability.
Still not ready to go the route of a Tune yet. I have a Brother who has been a Chevy Tech for over 20 years. He tells me the Tune isn't a big issue unless you have something like oil consumption problems. He said GM Engineering always wants to see the Tuning files first thing in a case like that, or major engine/Tranny problems. Supposedly the ECM records or differentiates between changes so they can identify changes. He recommends a spare ECM, leaving the stock one stock on the shelf and running the Tuned version with the replacement one. Which I may eventually go that route. I spent some time over at LMR last week and picked up a few ideas from those Guys.
Again Thanks for the info, and keep it coming. I'm still at the beginning of the learning curve on these cars, but trying to get a little further along the curve.
I'm looking at a CAI next. If LMR had had one in stock, it would have already been on the car. Looking hard at a "AirRaid" CAI at the moment.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:23 PM
FormerVendor

We've sold and installed both K&N and Airaid. Both are very good and result in 10-20 additional HP. K&N is about $50 cheaper.

Airaid: http://goodies-speedshop.com/i-58606...ke-system.html

K&N: http://goodies-speedshop.com/i-36077...mance-kit.html
Old 01-29-2012, 07:33 PM

I haven't had a vehicle with Headers on it in about 20 years. I understand the reliablity has greatly improved since I last dealt with them. I had several vehicles back in the 80's that I ran both Hedman and Hooker headers on. It was always a constant battle with exhaust leaks. Either the head to header gasket or collector gaskets were always leaking. At 51 years of age I don't get up off the concrete floor as quick or as well as I use too ! LOL. So I'm likely to be a hard sell on headers at this point. But it may be something I will consider in the future. 2 Kids in college also puts a damper on the fun fund as well ! LOL.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HDGuy61
I haven't had a vehicle with Headers on it in about 20 years. I understand the reliablity has greatly improved since I last dealt with them. I had several vehicles back in the 80's that I ran both Hedman and Hooker headers on. It was always a constant battle with exhaust leaks. Either the head to header gasket or collector gaskets were always leaking. At 51 years of age I don't get up off the concrete floor as quick or as well as I use too ! LOL. So I'm likely to be a hard sell on headers at this point. But it may be something I will consider in the future. 2 Kids in college also puts a damper on the fun fund as well ! LOL.

ARH and KooK's are your two top brands now for HP. If you want a Stainless header that you will never have a problem with exhaust leaks I would go with the XS Power Header, its made from 321 stainless and is more suited for higher temperatures than the 304 stainless the other companies use.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

I just installed my roto-fab intake and jannetty tune to compliment my LT's and no cats. I don't care what anyone says this car is now stupid fast compared to stock and whats funny is I got 12.70's out of it stock. I have yet to install the air scoop and washer bottle relocation kit.
Come on spring!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glennster
I just installed my roto-fab intake and jannetty tune to compliment my LT's and no cats. I don't care what anyone says this car is now stupid fast compared to stock and whats funny is I got 12.70's out of it stock. I have yet to install the air scoop and washer bottle relocation kit.
Come on spring!
'
wow thats an awesome time for a bone stock car, was that with drag radials? how did u hook up at the track, looking to get a halltech intake and a catback for mine eventually

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suggestions for Gen5 Camaro