Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

TSP 2" Header Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Default TSP 2" Header Review

Today my highly anticipated new version 304 stainless 2" headers showed up from Texas Speed. I previously had the older style 409 stainless 1 7/8 headers, which were excellent to me. Since I had the engine apart for misc. upgrades, I decided it was time to go to a 2" header in search of a few extra ponies for my 13.7:1 429ci n/a mill.

First impressions:

The headers were packed extremely thouroughly and arrived perfect. Packaging couldn't have been better.

Included
Headers
Header Gaskets
Off-Road Extensions (3" to 2.5" to fit a factory cb)
Extension band clamps
Header STUDS
Thread in plugs to protect O2 sensor holes preinstalled

The first thing I noticed is that these new 2" headers were significantly lighter then my old 1 7/8 headers (wow). The 409 headers weighed around 3-4 pounds a piece more then the new headers. They were extremely (too) thick in the piping and collector, which was a gripe of mine with the old
style header - it was heavier then necessary. The new headers are 2mm thick (14 GA) which is perfect IMO for this application.

The weld quality overall was good. Tubes are welded only on the inside of the header flange, which is an obvious cost-saving measure, but does not hinder performance in any way. Welds have good penetration, and are fairly uniform across. There was no obvious slag anywhere.

The collectors were also welded fairly decently inside. They could benefit from a merge spike, but that would add significant labor cost to the header ($20+ per) so I was not expecting one at this price point. Collector merge is smooth, and the O2 sensor bung is well-located and welded nicely.

The extras

I was not a fan of the included header studs. While header studs are a great idea in theory, the included studs were of a mystery metal grade. With no appreciable markings, and going by weight of the material, I would classify the header studs as "pot metal". I opted to reuse the factory header bolts, as they are high grade 10.9 bolts and I know they will not break. I'd suggest higher quality studs be used, if included with the kit. Ungraded generic studs are not acceptable when used in this application.

The header gaskets are a multi layer graphite impregnated gasket. They appear to be of generally high-quality for an included gasket, which is a step-up from the crappy paper gaskets most MFR's include in their kits. I would not hesitate to use these, except that I had some factory MLS gaskets, and I believe those are the best thing to use.

The header extensions and clamps - The extensions are nicely finished, and relieved with four cuts to aid in clamping to the header collector. The overall design is nice, with the outward appearance of catalytic converters for nosy inspectors. I was disappointed that the only offering for the extensions (at the moment) it 3" to 2.5" to fit a factory catback. My reasoning here is that no one who buys a 2" header is going to neck it down to 2.5" at the merge, as this would negate the flow benefit of the larger header. TSP really needs to offer a true 3" extension, as they did with their older headers. I traded my new extensions to the purchaser of my old headers for my old ones back, since he is connecting to a stock style exhaust. If you have a stock style exhaust, these are absolutely perfect.

Fit and finish

Fit and finish is flawless with at least 1/2" of clearance at all points vs. the steering shaft which is amazing in a 2" header. The driver's side header dropped in from the top in 30 seconds, and the passenger side from the bottom in 2 minutes. This relaxed fitment is almost unheard of for a 2" header. TSP did their homework with these pipes, as you could not ask for a better or easier fitting header. Plug access is fantastic. The pipes come in a very nice highly polished finish, with fancy Texas-Speed plates tacked to one of the primaries. 10/10 in the looks department.

Overall Review
Pros
Best header on the market for price
Only 2" header on the market in its price range
Fit and finish is flawless
Good quality machine welding and bends

Cons
Included studs are poor material
No 3" extension option (yet)
No merge spike

Overall I'd give these headers a 9.5/10. I'm completely satisfied with my purchase and would recommend these to anyone in the market for a new set of headers.

https://texas-speed.com/p-4012-texas...ro-ss-62l.aspx

Last edited by DietCoke; 11-26-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To clarify, we DO offer a 3"x3" extension piece for this kit at no extra cost....I just messed up and invoiced the incorrect part number

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. I really like my TSP 1 7/8 headers if I was going to stroke my motor out for big cubes I would definitely do these headers.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my TSP headers....the quality vs the price is really really good. Will buy them again.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Those sure look like quality headers. I'm definitely satisfied with my 1 7/8s. Are they're any plans for 2" f-body headers? Curious what kind of gains could be had
Old 11-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Launching!

will the 2" fit a zl1 and are we able to request the install of the merge spike? will the belly pan have to be trimmed ?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

will these be offered for the4th gens anytime soon?
Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brennen's01SS
Those sure look like quality headers. I'm definitely satisfied with my 1 7/8s. Are they're any plans for 2" f-body headers? Curious what kind of gains could be had
+1 to bold
Old 01-26-2013, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Dam i should have bought them mine was a bitch

Quick Reply: TSP 2" Header Review