Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 camaro 2SS w/ RS... Now what?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 2014 camaro 2SS w/ RS... Now what?!

hello!

Goodbye Kia SX turbo4, hello American muscle!

I'm the proud new owner of a stock 2014 automatic v8 camaro.

I'm new to the forum & have lots of questions.

The automatic SS didn't allow me to add the 1LE package, looks like mainly suspension stuff on that package?

I want to keep mods very simple tho..

Performance mods I know I want:
* intake
* exhaust
* tower brace

The dealer said they can provide me with their "aftermarket parts guy", but id like to get Any Suggestions on a cat back & intake w/ pricing from you guys first.

Appearance mods I know I want:
* LED dome/map lights bulbs
* LED license plate bulbs
* FL darkest legal tint (black or mirrored)

Is there a Vendor on forum that sells any LED kits?

Audio mods I know I want:
* 2 10" subs w/ 200w amp in sealed enclosure
(Genuine GM Accessory)look here!

The so-called Premuim audio boston acoustic sound system that comes part of the 2SS package sounds like crap! It's def missing bass, & can't turn volume past halfway w/o getting distortion.

Did anyone get the custom speaker box w/ subs with their camaro?? It might be all I need for it to be bearable. GM sells it as an add-on for $1065, but I found few places that resell/list it for less: look here!

Last edited by Adrian97c; 03-12-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

See parenthesis in your quote

Originally Posted by Adrian97c
hello!

1LE:
Suspension
Wheels
Black hood and spoiler
Different final drive in trans
Manual only
3.91 gears

Performance mods I know I want:
* intake (vararam)
* exhaust (long tubes for sure...catback is just sound until highly modded)
* tower brace (waste)

Audio mods I know I want:
* 2 10" subs w/ 200w amp in sealed enclosure - Genuine GM Accesory (sucks...go with subthump or support a local 12v shop)
Old 03-13-2014, 06:38 AM
Staging Lane

hello! Goodbye Kia SX turbo4, hello American muscle! I'm the proud new owner of a stock 2014 automatic v8 camaro. I'm new to the forum & have lots of questions. The automatic SS didn't allow me to add the 1LE package, looks like mainly suspension stuff on that package? I want to keep mods very simple tho.. Performance mods I know I want: * intake * exhaust * tower brace The dealer said they can provide me with their "aftermarket parts guy", but id like to get Any Suggestions on a cat back & intake w/ pricing from you guys first. Appearance mods I know I want: * LED dome/map lights bulbs * LED license plate bulbs * FL darkest legal tint (black or mirrored) Is there a Vendor on forum that sells any LED kits? Audio mods I know I want: * 2 10" subs w/ 200w amp in sealed enclosure (Genuine GM Accessory)look here! The so-called Premuim audio boston acoustic sound system that comes part of the 2SS package sounds like crap! It's def missing bass, & can't turn volume past halfway w/o getting distortion. Did anyone get the custom speaker box w/ subs with their camaro?? It might be all I need for it to be bearable. GM sells it as an add-on for $1065, but I found few places that resell/list it for less: look here!
The 1LE package changes the suspension, exhaust, 1-4 gears in the transmission and changes the rear gear from 3.45 (3.23 auto) to 3.91's. Plus the rims are down right bitch'n.

Do not buy the GM "dual" 10" kit. It is only 1 10" sub and a 10" "radiator". For the price of that setup you can get a full setup that will sound really good, plus that leaves the rest off your speakers sounding like ***. The weak link in the BA system is the factory amp.

www.subthump.com sells complete setups for the camaro that fit great and won't break the bank. Steve has everything from plain to wow. He has a plug and play kit so no wires have to get spliced making install a breeze. If you get one of the 5 ch amp and sub combo's, you will be happy with the sound system.

For the lighting mods, check out AAC. http://www.automotivelightstore.com/home.aspx

For the intake, there are a TON to choose from and everyone will have their favorites. I have used BBK, CAI Inc and Speed by Spectre. CAI inc is by far the most expensive (way over priced IMHO), BBK's will not work if you plan on adding a blower later, but it works great stock, and Spectre's is the cheapest, but I had the best power gains with that one.

For your strut tower brace, the GM brace or Hotchkis are about the only ones I can give any feedback on. BMR makes a couple of different braces, but I don't think either will clear a blower if you wind up going that route.

As far as the exhaust goes, the GMPP setup, sounds pretty good.

I think I hit on everything but if I missed anything just ask. Congrats on the car!

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-13-2014, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to hijack but if the amp is the problem with BA system can you just get a bigger amp?
Old 03-13-2014, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by M6 Swap
Not trying to hijack but if the amp is the problem with BA system can you just get a bigger amp?
Bigger amp will clean up the sound, but the factory speakers have bass reducers built in now. The early '10's blew the speakers if you went above 17 and had the bass turned up past 3-4.

If you want to get the full range of music, you have to add at least one sub. I went with a single 10" and it sounds good.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Appreciate the feedback! Some great info to start with..I'm sure I'll have plenty of follow up questions, I always first

Last edited by Adrian97c; 03-13-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by grocerygetter
See parenthesis in your quote
Just talked to vararam 2 days ago, they said they should have one out for the 2013/14 in about 50-60 days.

Sent from my iPh5S using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-17-2014, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

yeah...I'd wait for Vararam's
Old 03-17-2014, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Last edited by Adrian97c; 04-16-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:16 AM
Staging Lane

Looking at these, great price for headers-to-tips complete set from TSP: http://www.texas-speed.com/p-34-tsp-...ess-steel.aspx I gotta see if this will give error codes, I don't want dealer to give me hard time about Warranty blah blah. Sent from my iPh5S using IB AutoGroup
I don't think any of the LT's will keep from throwing codes. People have had mixed luck with spacers for the rear 02 sensors, but 99% get a CEL (check engine light) within 500 miles or so.

If you are worried about the warranty, you may want to stick with a cat-back system until you are ready to get it tuned and say goodbye to the warranty.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6
I don't think any of the LT's will keep from throwing codes. People have had mixed luck with spacers for the rear 02 sensors, but 99% get a CEL (check engine light) within 500 miles or so. If you are worried about the warranty, you may want to stick with a cat-back system until you are ready to get it tuned and say goodbye to the warranty. Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Done! Just bought Borla Atak catback system for $1100 on eBay! I'll eventually go full headers & tune.. I'll be fine with catback & CAI for the next few years

Last edited by Adrian97c; 03-26-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

Nice!

Old 03-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Here we go! My new exhaust:

Old 04-14-2014, 06:30 AM
12 Second Club

Congrats on the new SS, I also have a turbo optima, nice daily driver, but I bought it with a rebuilt title for the wife for around $12k and only had 6k miles and looked like a showroom new car, plus it serves the purpose, power and fuel economy. I bet your missing the sound system the optima had. I really like the sound quality in that car.
I bought my SS used, but someone had already put a very nice custom system in it and sounds excellent, nothing stock remains.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rotwiler
Congrats on the new SS, I also have a turbo optima, nice daily driver, but I bought it with a rebuilt title for the wife for around $12k and only had 6k miles and looked like a showroom new car, plus it serves the purpose, power and fuel economy. I bet your missing the sound system the optima had. I really like the sound quality in that car. I bought my SS used, but someone had already put a very nice custom system in it and sounds excellent, nothing stock remains.
The optima SX I had came with a terrible audio system, but I upgraded it: http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=12306

I'm about to do the same on my SS by replacing the Boston Acoustics amp w/ an XD400/4 & adding a Subthump stealth sub kit

Old 04-16-2014, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

Here we go! My new exhaust:
http://youtu.be/L9fYKACkKrc

Much better!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6
Much better!
Thx! I also bought a range v8 module (AFM delete), so it never goes into 4cyl mode w/o tunning.

Upgrading audio in a few weeks, just waiting everything to arrive & a camaro5.com forum member nearby will help me install lol

Between this forum & camaro5 I been getting some sweet deals!

My next (last for now) performance mod will be either Spectre CAI or the Vararam.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:48 PM
Teching In

New wheels LG ZR28:

2014 camaro 2SS w/ RS... Now what?!-image-3418304281.jpg

Old 03-01-2015, 07:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

Very Nice car ! But I wouldn't wait on the tune if it was me. That is one of the best things you can do for the L99 cars. Really woke my car up and the shift points were much better. And that was just with the superchips tuner lol.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Banned

If you think you like your ATAK now, just wait 'til about 4 months from now when the system gets "seasoned" it will sound much better and bitchin' than it does now. The GM subwoofer acc. is a waste of $$. you can get much better sound setup with Subthump or Double D mods. and for much less.

Last edited by nancygrl; 03-05-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 camaro 2SS w/ RS... Now what?!