Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best upgrades that don't need a tune

Old 05-02-2014, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best upgrades that don't need a tune

So I'm living in Hawaii and I want to upgrade my 2013 Camaro. One problem...there aren't any good shops around that can tune the new camaro. For those of you that have already done it, what are the best upgrades that don't need to be tuned.

I'm trying to talk a good friend of mine into coming out and tuning my car once I'm ready, but for now I just want the ground work.

I'm thinking LT's, CAI, maybe exhaust (from what I read the exhaust is pretty good). What brands are getting the best non-tuned results?

Future plans: I want it to be all motor, so a cam, possibly stroker kit later on as well. Right now I'm not leaning toward turbo or supercharger so naturally aspirated builds is what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Teching In

There is very little that can be done that is worth doing in the way of performance upgrades that do not need a tune to make them worthwhile. My advice is that if your not going to retune, then postpone the long tubes, CAI, and other upgrades until you're ready to tune at the same time as the upgrades are installed.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:07 AM
Teching In

Suspension mods - to put the power down when you do those bigger performance mods.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:43 AM
TECH Regular

Get with a shop that will send you a loader so you can tune remote. Intake header exhaust and stop. Mods beyond that, I would be in person. Ryan (rhino79) works at a performance division of a Chevy dealer, GPI, I recommend them. You can click on right. Talk to him or Aaron. They can sell you a package...they have good pricing on kooks too.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Ported TB and a cold air kit.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

Bo is on the money there too...he can hook you up on the TB porting.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps a different rear gear? A simple handheld might be able to change your speedo.

There are a few very reputable tuners who would bench tune you car for intake, headers, and exhaust. Something like that will not leave as much on the table or be as hard to dial in the driveability like trying to do a radical h/c or f/i set-up would. You will just have to ship them your PCM, hell you may be able to get one of them to send you a tune file for the same price but you would have to have a working HPtuner suit to upload it, and then, whats the point.

Nevertheless, someone like Ed Hutchings @ Hitech Tuning can get you hooked up remotely as your in Hawaii. Shoot him a PM or give him a call. I would trust him to tune anything that is EFI.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bo White
Ported TB and a cold air kit.
And Bo is THE guy to port the TB, if my 1LE ever gets here he will be the one to port the TB , his work is the best . It is a work of art .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best upgrades that don't need a tune